PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice about suing letting agent

2»

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Isn't your contract with the landlord, rather than the letting agent?

It isn't up to the letting agent to replace carpets/walls and so on. The landlord has to pay for all of that.

Similarly it is the landlord who would need to release you from the contract and return your deposit, not the agent.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree that after the build up in the OP the photos were nothing like as bad as I expected. If you don't want to do the cleaning get someone in to do the work.

The positive of this is that at the end of the contract you will not need to bother to clean as it will almost certainly exceed the condition on the inventory at the start of the tenancy.

It must have been an unpleasant surprise but your reactions do seem to be disproportionate.
  • I looked at it expecting poo everywhere. It just needs a few hours cleaning. Standard for most rental houses I have moved into. I also fail to understand how you missed this on viewing. Either you should have taken more care when viewing or not taken this flat. It's not the lettings agents fault that you did not look around properly.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    given the allegations you are throwing around and the lack of evidence to support your OTT stance, be very careful it is not the LA who sue you for defamation

link:
    https://twitter.com/CarolineLKemp

^^^^ I totally agree with this.

Drama Queen springs to mind :rotfl:
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    I've moved into worse forces married quarters many a time which are meant to have had a good clean and haven't. I just clean them again. It's not that bad really.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    I was expecting one of those houses from hell you see on tv where the filth is so bad you need a hazmat suit to enter. All that room has is signs of wear and tear, matt paint gets very grubby very easily, especially paler colours, and doesn't clean very well but there is no "poo" like substance or blood.

OP you are in for a very long and miserable life if you think that is a health hazard and worth breaching a contract over.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    Hoover, carpet cleaner, bottle of bleach and a sponge. Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure