Reclaim AA membership after cooling off period

Hi, recently my AA membership auto renewed at the beginning of March. I contacted AA yesterday to cancel my membership and to have £197 refunded minus March and April's fee. The auto renewal was paid for in full for 12 months.

I was told that I was 4 days outside the cooling off period and that they could not refund me or offer a cheaper renewal.

I then wrote to them to explain that due to a recent change in my medical and personal circumstances I was not in a position to deal with this situation before the end of the cooling off period.

They have offered me a refund of £47 but I am in real financial difficulty and need to be fully reimbursed.

I have paid 12 months upfront for a service that I am looking to halt, do I have any legal right to a refund at this stage?

Gerry

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    No. You took out a 1 year policy with a cooling off period and a cancellation charge. Anything above what they have offered, which will be in accordance with the cancellation clause, is down to good will.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can complain to them formally but no guarantee they will if they kept to their terms and conditions
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They have offered me a refund of £47 but I am in real financial difficulty and need to be fully reimbursed.
    That amount is already generous in that they are not required to refund anything at all.

You can certainly write back to them detailing the extent of your financial woes, but I wouldn't hold out any real hope of a full refund since you have no entitlement to one.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    do I have any legal right to a refund at this stage?

No. Cancellation rights are you period of rights. Outside of the cancellation rights, you are reliant on the published cancellation terms, if any or the goodwill of the service provider.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure