Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 1:05PM
    Options
    sugar your insight into the benefits system is very insightful. I was aware that people were being moved onto Universal Credit and that was an overhaul, but I think there must be a better way than that. The system is so bureaucratic and it is taking far too long for people to get through the system.

Ll your plans sound very exciting an I am pleased to read that you have lots of exciting things to look forward to.

I am off work for the next few days with the children for their Easter Holidays. My Mum had them yesterday and deep cleaned the house, so I dont have too much to do. Bliss.

I have booked a couple of days off work over the next few weeks. DS doesnt want to go to childcare on his birthday, so I will use the time he is at school for job hunting.

The other day (pay day) will involve some retail therapy and a nice lunch. I have been browsing online and found a few promising stores, but I need to go in and have a proper look.

The more I think about leaving my current employer, the more I have decided I have made the right decision. I have quite a bit of leave left to use before I go and I need to use it quickly. I told my boss that I wanted gardening leave over the summer, as I would rather be off with the children than being at work and having to juggle childcare. The official line will be to offset my annual leave against the time off, but if I dont have enough leave, we will have to come to an arrangement.

Me and OH have agreed to use some of the redundancy money on decorating the dining room and hallway. Other than plastering and flooring, we can do the rest ourselves and I will be able to do quite a bit whilst I am off work. We want to get a new dining room suite and sofa bed, so want to keep the costs down.
  • Southern-Girl
    Options
    I love this thread for it's fabbing and general chit-chat on everyday things.
    However, it feels as though its becoming a benefits thread.
    What people don't realise is that something like 75% of the population are, at some point, on some sort of benefits.
    Benefits include anything paid to you, or for you, by the government.
    This includes: Council tax, housing benefit, working tax credit, family tax credit, disability payment/s, pension credits, carers allowance.
    What I don't think people realise is how many people are working maybe 16 hours and getting tax credits to top up their income. Years ago, if people didn't have enough money they'd get a second job!
    Don't get me wrong, I believe benefits majorly help people who are really need it, but there are too many people working just the minimal 16 hours needed to then get their rent and council tax paid and then tax credits on top.
    I know someone working 16 hours a week. They were offered full time work, but declined as they would have to then pay their rent and council tax and lose their Working Tax Credits.

That doesn't really give people the incentive to work, does it?

Anyway ladies. I really do love this thread. Keep up the chit-chat!

XX
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies......

What a dark, dismal and depressing day, it’s like a January Morning. My dil has just sent me the long range weather forecast for next week and it looks like spring will finally be here at last. Temps up to 20C and some actual sunshine.....not before time.

Well it’s all action stations here. Have postponed the photographer till Monday to give me a couple of extra days for a few final tweaks before we go live next week.

Have trawled through Rightmove and found a few maybes, although I wont bother doing any viewings just yet. In fact I will do drivebys first so as not to waste time.

Today my pet heating engineer/plumber is coming. He is being assessed so he can renew his certificates so he has asked if I will be his guinea pig for the assessor. I don’t mind, he does me a lot favours, it just means I am a bit tied down today. Hopefully I can decutter the study whilst they are here. College proper starts tonight, so all in all a busy day ahead.

Gave myself a manicure last night whilst watching Tess of the D’urbervilles. I’d forgotten how gloomy it was. I felt like shaking both Tess and Angel......dozy pair.

Why didn’t he force her to escape whilst they had the chance......:rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Southern Girl
    . That person you know is wrong. :( If you work over 30 hours not only will you continue to receive Working Tax Credits, you also receive the 30 plus hours premium, so you receive substantially more Working Tax Credits, if you are in full time work than if you are in part time work. If that is not an incentive to work, then I do not know what is? (Before my part time cleaner job, I was working full time for 8 years in Childcare, as a Nursery Assistant, a Nursery Nurse and then finally as a Room Leader) Can we all please try not to make negative sweeping statements about benefit claimants based on little experience of the facts :eek:

If employers were paying a National Living Wage, not a Minimum Wage and they were not allowed to issue employees with Zero hours contracts, then there would not be such a reliance on Benefits to top up paltry wages.

Yesterday I went to see the preview of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I absolutely loved it! :j I had a free ticket. :D It is on general release on 20th April. There was a question and answer session after the film with the director Mike Newell, the writer of the screenplay Kevin Hood, the producer Paula Mazur and the 2 of the lead actors Lily James and Glen Powell. Lily James was stunning in a beautiful designer dress and 5 inch Louboutin's. Glen Powell is even better looking in the flesh and he literally made my heart race for all the right reasons. :T:D It was such an entertaining and laughter filled question and answer session, so I left the cinema absolutely buzzing, even though I was in pain. :D:j

The only downside to the event last night was that I was sat next to a young girl to my left, who was a heavy smoker. She has obviously lost her sense of smell. She smelt rancid. I had to keep turning my head to the right and shallow breathing because the smell was so bad. :( Her clothes and outdoor wear were in need of a good wash. As a non smoker, I never normally mind smokers, there are enough of them in my large family, but this was extreme.

I layered my perfume with the matching body powder and the matching body lotion.

I have a free ticket for a jazz evening tomorrow. It is local to me as it is in Brixton. :D
  • Southern-Girl
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Southern Girl
    . That person you know is wrong. :( If you work over 30 hours not only will you continue to receive Working Tax Credits, you also receive the 30 plus hours premium, so you receive substantially more Working Tax Credits, if you are in full time work than if you are in part time work. If that is not an incentive to work, then I do not know what is? (Before my part time cleaner job, I was working full time for 8 years in Childcare, as a Nursery Assistant, a Nursery Nurse and then finally as a Room Leader) Can we all please try not to make negative sweeping statements about benefit claimants based on little experience of the facts :eek:
    :D

Thank you, Sugarbaby. I think we need to agree to disagree on this. She would get a slight top up to her wages with tax credits but she would have to pay her rent in full (£1100 per month, we live in a very expensive rental area) and her Council tax in full (£130 per month, this is with 25%discount). This totals £1230 that she receives at the moment that she would not get! At the moment she has to pay £22 to park in the hospital car park. If she goes full time this would go up to £48 per month :eek:

She would have to take home (nett wage) £2000 to break even!

By the way - she's a nurse of 11 years standing! So not in a "minimum wage" job :-)
    As you are probably aware, NHS workers haven't had a pay rise for over 6 years! :mad:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good to know you're feeling bright enough to get out and about sugarbaby.:)

This is such an interesting thread. I love it that we're able to chat about everything under the sun. What's also really good is that we're a big mix of ages and family circumstances and living all over the country so would be unlikely to meet in RL.:A

I have very little experience of the benefit system so while I'm happy to listen I can't contribute much. BUT.... I have many opinions on the political aspects of the system. :D I applaud the reasons why the benefit system was set up in the first place: as a safety net for those that were vulnerable through ill health, disability, temporary unemployment etc. What I don't applaud is abuse of the system. I recognise that there are some claimants who abuse the system but my biggest moan currently is the way that this government is subsidising employers who don't offer a fair day's pay for a fair day's work while probably paying themselves handsomely.:mad:

Sadly southerngirl, so many public service jobs are turning into minimum wage or even lower in practice because of the public sector pay freeze. Those in caring professions often put in many extra hours including working through breaks which, if you 'do the math' isn't much more than minimum for the hours worked.

My dil has just sent me the long range weather forecast for next week and it looks like spring will finally be here at last. Temps up to 20C and some actual sunshine.....not before time.

Hooray!!!:j
    Have trawled through Rightmove and found a few maybes, although I wont bother doing any viewings just yet. In fact I will do drivebys first so as not to waste time.

Driving by is a great idea as the area you want to live can be as important as the house itself. Location, location, location to coin a phrase!:D
    Gave myself a manicure last night whilst watching Tess of the D’urbervilles. I’d forgotten how gloomy it was. I felt like shaking both Tess and Angel......dozy pair.

Why didn’t he force her to escape whilst they had the chance......:rotfl:

I love Hardy but some of his characters are like that. I wish Tess had an alternative ending a bit like The French Lieutenant's Woman. Coincidentally I was listening to an episode of Jude the Obscure on the radio yesterday. He gets himself obsessed with a silly woman too:(. I think Bathsheba Everdene is my favourite.:)

I haven't done anything about the dress for next month's wedding yet. My plan is to wait until next week (when children back at school) then see what's available in the shops and probably also send for that red, spotty one. If only it was guaranteed sunshine.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Southern Girl Even as a person who is currently receiving only Benefits, I do not receive full Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. I personally have to pay £16 per week towards my rent and £15 a week Council Tax. Yet people tend to assume that my weekly rent and my weekly council tax is paid in full.

I was not making a comment about the person you knew and her personal circumstances. I was making a statement about the fact that when you work 30 plus hours, you get a premium payment on top of the Working Tax Credits you are already receiving when you switch from working 16-29 hours to 30 plus hours.

I applaud all NHS staff for their dedication. :D My sister R has worked in the NHS in various departments and doing various posts for over 20 years. Thankfully she is almost at retirement age. :D
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Maman, I am so relieved that my health is no longer as debilitating as it was and I can now get out and about a bit. I can go for a meal with my daughter and to the cinema with my son this weekend to celebrate my 56th birthday :D:j
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman I agree with you about the welfare state.

Sugar happy birthday. Enjoy your meal and cinema with your family.

I took the children out today in Central London. I wanted to look nice, but also be warm and comfortable, so I wore a play suit, tights and wedge boots. We visited monument and parliament. I am pleased to be back home though.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Today's fabbing - I've ordered the book "Jump Start your metabolism" by Pam Grout. Worth a try at that - instead of the Japanese breathing exercises I had in mind to try.

Basic idea being that our metabolism is often noticeably slower than it should be and it's down to bad breathing habits. The thought of a woman mentioned in it commenting that she had lost 20lb without trying/thinking about it in 3 months sounded promising. That had me thinking "20 lbs would about do it for me - hmm".

Been checking out the "how to dress like a Frenchwoman" or "how to dress like a Swedish woman" channels on Youtube. Think I've found one that suits my tastes better - and I shall be investigating one by a foreign woman (she looks Korean??) living in America. I like her style. Can't recall her name - but I subscribed to check out a few more of her videos.

Felt achey after planting stuff in the garden yesterday - only to find there was yet more rubbish hidden some inches down in the soil (courtesy of previous owners never having had it removed). So that was some unexpected weightlifting - again - yesterday. Think I'd better have a darn good session of digging come the end of summer in the area concerned - in case of any more "shoulda been removed - but wasn't" rubbish. For now - I feel like I've removed an awful lot of it since I moved here:cool::mad:. But I did manage half an hour of power walking again (despite the aches) to a YouTube video today:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure