Car Seller Is Not The Owner

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Also him saying that he's just found out that you can update the V5 on the Government DVLA site is more likely a lie, judging by the amount of cars he has sold he probably already knows this.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    efunc wrote: »
    I looked at the service book, and it had the first 5 stamps from the same Audi dealership in the south, which look legitimate, and then the remaining 5 from some independent in Scotland. That does point to 2 owners. Of course I can call Audi and receive the full service history they have on record and verify if they saw it for those first 6 years.

Why "points to 2 owners"? Surely if you've looked at the car you've checked the V5 for owner list? Contact the last one to ask about the car
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I agree, complacency. I was trying to fathom the amount of holes in the story and how easy it is for anyone to see through them, thinking there must be some master plan, but there really isn’t! He’s just plain stupid and this is a sale that’s bound to collapse.

I mean, he’s selling this on eBay after all, but he hasn’t disclosed any of the relevant details in the description! Bidders will be bidding high assuming it is exactly as it’s described. But when they turn up he’ll tell them it’s not even his car, and there’s 2 previous owners, not one, and potentially him as well, making it 3. And then they will see all the scuffs and scrapes, on car he’s described as flawless. Who on earth would actually end up paying the final bid price, or anything at all, when they take in the full picture? Just seems madness. Surely better for him to just register it to himself and actually sell it on with no strings attached? The car itself seems a good drive for the money and likely problem-free. I assume it was picked up at a car auction. He would have paid at least £8k for it, if it’s not CAT D or CAT C…
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lots of buyers don't check, or will accept the selling for a friend story. He's not trying to deceive someone looking into it, just someone who doesn't care.

Local dealer to me claims that for most of his sales the buyer has already decided from the ad and pretty much just walk in, pay and leave.

He's presumably selling too many cars to hide his address (if it is his address). Plus if you turn up at his door with a problem the response is fairly predictable:

First, it'll be "Sorry, it wasn't my car, I didn't know anything about"
    If that doesn't work it'll either turn into threats of violence or calling the police. Remember that although you know where he lives, he knows where you live too.

Plus with a "private sale", or the faults are hidden for long enough, you might never even take it back.
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Why "points to 2 owners"? Surely if you've looked at the car you've checked the V5 for owner list? Contact the last one to ask about the car
    Because when you're checking out someone's story it's common practice to use different sets of data to corroborate things. ie if the mileage history doesn't follow the Service history or if the service history doesn't reflect the v5 info, etc, then you know things are being doctored. When things start matching up you can instead focus on the parts of the story which are obviously rubbish, and confront them accordingly.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Cover story typical of scummy driveway trader.

Advert has trader written all over it.

Phone number linked to numerous car sales, he probably has other numbers as well. .

Car will be a trader's mongrel, and if you have any problems this guy will be harder to find than Lord Lucan.

Why are you even thinking about buying a car from a total liar and scumbag?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What s reading fault codes gonna tell you on a 10 year old car? It'll probably have a load of historic codes still stored in there and some irrelevant ones.
  • RegWorts
    RegWorts Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easy...walk away and report the details to the Trading Standards

This is worth reading about a similar liar

http://www.tradingstandardswales.org.uk/prosecutions/2016MarTorfaen.cfm
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    efunc wrote: »
    Yep, just saw those myself too and was dumbfounded! I'm left wondering if I should proceed. It is the car I'm after, at a price I'm happy about. But I can't go ahead knowing what I know without letting him know he's rumbled. He's BS'ing me telling me that he's just spoken to his friend and has accepted my offer...

Really?

After all that has been said on this thread?

There's none so blind as them who can't see.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The suggestion that he has no idea about a vehicle-specific diagnostic tool (in this case VCDS) is ridiculous, given his history.

I would not be at all surprised if you find that two wires have been disconnected on the back of the OBD port.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure