PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky Ways to Save the Pennies 2018

13»

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Have updated thread title :)

My sneaky way is to keep a kilner bottle of water in the fridge. When guests come there is very cold water to pour, which looks nice on the table, but is just tap water. Somehow it feels fancier and like it tastes nicer (I'm sure it's psychological though). Saves plastic, too!

I also get into work early every day, beats traffic (which saves fuel), and I have my morning coffees here from the fancy machine (saves me buying it for home). Also means I can crack on in peace and then leave early to beat traffic on way home :D

Thank you for changing the title for me
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Have updated thread title :)

My sneaky way is to keep a kilner bottle of water in the fridge. When guests come there is very cold water to pour, which looks nice on the table, but is just tap water. Somehow it feels fancier and like it tastes nicer (I'm sure it's psychological though). Saves plastic, too!

It might not be entirely psychological, it could be that some of the chlorine has dissipated. I always find I prefer my bedside glass of water the night after it's been run from the tap and I've always assumed its because there's not as much chlorine in it.

I've got some stoppered glass bottles that some posh lemonade came in, from Aldi a couple of years ago. I might try water in one of those. Though I prefer it at room temperature.

Thanks for the idea. :)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,395
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Picked up H box Hotel chocolat chocolates for £3.25 down from £13.00 in John Lewis. We always check the reduced shelf in John Lewis when needing to get some chocolate as a present - special aunt and Mum have both had some very nice presents at a reasonable price because of this. (The chocolates always have a very short date - but they don't usually last very long.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Uniscots97
    Forumite
    Portion items before freezing I.e. Pies, pizzas, packs of sausages etc so that you only need to take out what you need.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Gem-gem
    Forumite
    Park on the outskirt of town and walk in = exercise plus no parking charge, a win, win
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Uniscots97
    Forumite
    You can use a microfibre cloth dipped in warm water to take makeup off. No cleanser needed and it will take off most mascaras too
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:23PM
    Learn what can be frozen.

I!!!8217;ve been trying to reduce my food waste to nothing & have been freezing all manner of bits of things to use to make lunches without aiming to buy more than 1 new ingredient for them per week:

Recent examples include:

- 1/2 piece of salmon, 1/3 packet of feta cheese & handful of frozen sweetcorn in a crustless quiche
    - Same but with 2 pieces of l/o bacon & a handful of frozen peas & grated cheese
    - 2 l/o chicken breasts + mayo + store cupboard curry powder/almonds/raisins/dried apricots to make coronation chicken wrap filling
    - beetroot falafel - l/o beetroot, tin of chickpeas, garlic, store cupboard spices
    - mince curry - l/o mince, tin plum tomatoes, onion, stock cube, Garam masala/coriander/cumin + 19p ys chappattis

It!!!8217;s amazing how much you can save by making yourself freeze & use up stuff instead of allowing yourself to buy extra things.

My tip is to save a little bit of a packet of an ingredient to use in something else every time you cook e.g a couple of rashers of bacon, a 1/4 block of cheese, 1 chicken breast out of a packet, leave a handful of frozen veg in a bag etc.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Gem-gem
    Forumite
    Uniscots97 wrote: »
    You can use a microfibre cloth dipped in warm water to take makeup off. No cleanser needed and it will take off most mascaras too

At the weekend my mum and I are going to make some make-up pads with an old flanette sheet. I am interested in trying anything that will save £££ so will have a go with the microfibre cloth.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Uniscots97
    Forumite
    Watch out for the so called 'bargain' bumper packs. Seen recently a bumper pack of standard size twix bars (7 in the packet) for £2.50, the normal pack 4 was £1 and the same size of bars! Pampers bumper box of nappy pants (56), £11, a pack of 28 on offer for £3.75 (Asda this week). It pays to look at the different sizes as the larger isn't necessarily cheaper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure