2017 - Spend less, live more

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's interesting sugarbaby although I've never mastered crochet. I could never get the tension right.:o

When my DDs were younger I used to make a lot of their dresses and quite a few skirts and things for myself but these days it's more the odd repair or hem or a crafty project. I embroidered some gift bags for friends at Christmas so that they could use them afterwards to hold Scrabble tiles.

Sadly schools are forced down the road of 'hard' subjects that count for league tables so there's little room in a packed curriculum for much in the way of sewing or cooking.

Not that it was all rosy back in the day.:) When I was at school we seemed to spend more time scrubbing down work surfaces and copying out the recipes than cooking things and I remember when I was about 13 having to hand sew a baby's romper that was so big and baggy that we used to put them on ourselves and fool around!:o:rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maman,

I really did lots of cooking at Secondary school for 5 years. I was learning new cooking skills all the time. :D Each week I had the results of my cooking to bring home. We also had to learn about laying a table correctly and flower arranging. You also learnt about kitchen hygiene and the importance of cleaning your work station as you go. I was always a neat person, but some of my friends were so messy.

For my Housecraft CSE practical exam, I had to cook a 3 course dinner for 4 people, lay the table for 4 and arrange a bouquet of flowers all with the examiner watching and marking you. This astonished my children when I told them.

I have never cooked as much from scratch since, apart from during my marriage. :D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 March 2018 at 12:03AM
    Options
    Popped to town today, to return a damaged item for OH. I also had to pay our penny jar into the childrens bank accounts. As I was walking through Debenhams, I got chatting to one of the SAs, as I clearly looked dodgy the way I was clutching my heavy bag. I told her it was savings and she said that she does the same for her nephew. She then gave me a perfume sample. When I got to the bank, I discovered they have a coin machine which sorts the money for you, meaning OH didn!!!8217;t need to spend all that time counting and bagging it up!

Saved £19 on undies from the M&S whilst in town. My bras desperately needed replacing and I have been picking up new ones in the sales. I found one today for £8 reduced from £20.

I was sent a next VIP online slot for the sale, but managed to bag a relatively early one -I normally get late ones and this means that most things are gone. As I got an early one, I managed to order a few items for the children.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Chanie,

You got some great bargains in the M & S and the Next sales. :D

I get all my daughter's M & S bras from eBay as they cost so much less than buying the same bras direct from M & S. For example the last one I bought from eBay only cost £3.99
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well done on the undies & clothes for the kids, I need to start planning ahead with DS's clothes so that I can take advantage of the sales.

Good idea about eb*y for bras sugar the bras I like are generally £20 full price so I had a look & they're selling new for at least half that & some are even less. :T Just need to wait for my size & preferred colours. I bought quite a few when I re-sized & have discovered some styles feel/fit better than others so would like to get rid of the uncomfortable ones or ones that don't sit right & replace with ones that will definitely be used.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I keep forgetting to browse eBay. I remember when you got those thermal tops sugarbaby. They were excellent value and so versatile. You must have had a premonition of all the snow to come!:D

I'm almost ashamed to mention this as I know not buying any would be the best value of the lot but.....Sainsbury's have 25% off wine at the moment. ;)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Maman, nothing to be ashamed of in sharing offers that are available. Tesco have the same offer of 25% off on wine if your buying 6 or more bottles :D :T
  • chanie
    Options
    Chanie,

You got some great bargains in the M & S and the Next sales. :D

I get all my daughter's M & S bras from eBay as they cost so much less than buying the same bras direct from M & S. For example the last one I bought from eBay only cost £3.99

You have such good ideas and are saving me a fortune. I have just had a look on ebay for bras and am pleasantly surprise. Most of the. M&S bras are similar prices to the ones on sale, but it’s good to know i can get bras outside of the sale.
  • chanie
    Options
    sashybo wrote: »
    Well done on the undies & clothes for the kids, I need to start planning ahead with DS's clothes so that I can take advantage of the sales.

Buying a couple of items regularly adds up really quickly. I always make a point of looking when I’m out and about and I take advantage of sales.

Next - I used to go to the sale at 5am, but i can’t be bothered any more, so I pay full price. I do like next clothing for children.

Sainsbury’s - The 25% off events normally coincide with school holidays, so I stock up on socks and undies.

Gap - I normally have a wander towards the end of the sale and buy DS tshirts for under £5.

Debenhams - have some nice brands. I wait until they have 25% off type offers.

H & m - I don’t really like their clothes, but I like the boys jogging bottoms and girls cotton summer dresses. The clothing comes up small though.
  • chanie
    Options
    maman wrote: »

I'm almost ashamed to mention this as I know not buying any would be the best value of the lot but.....Sainsbury's have 25% off wine at the moment. ;)

Thanks for the tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport