Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    faddy wrote: »
    Someone in that thread stating that you don't get decent deals if you use a lot of data. Bad news if true as I'm trying to get something for my son who apparently downloaded over 400GB over the past month.

Same guy saying he got a new customer deal a couple of weeks after leaving. Don't VM enforce a minimum break before accepting you as a new customer?

I believe it's true, I download roughly the same.

I contacted them last year, when phoned to cancel, the woman practically said you wont get anyone else who offers similar due to my download.

Cancel put through, no phone call, it was who had to phone 3 hours before cut off and pay the same price!! Now it's £33 with 50Mb or is it 70Mb and free weekend calls (don't have a landline).
  • thor wrote: »
    I cancelled 7 days ago and have yet to get the callback so am getting a bit worried as they have always contacted me within 3 days the previous times I cancelled.
    Was your first offer from retentions as well as the one you accepted? They must have really wanted to keep you considering they called back 3 weeks after you gave them your notice. I hope they want to retain me as bad.

The first offer wasnt from retentions. It was from customer services in Swansea. To be honest i was sweating it a bit as the cut off date got closer and i even called them back to try and get that 100mb deal at one point but the guy that offered it wasnt around and the other peeps on the phone couldnt match it.

Also as for others commenting about heavy download... They told me i download about 320GB per month. Not sure if 320GB qualifies as heavy usage these days, but when i spoke to retentions and other customer support, they never mentioned anything about heavy download.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe a stupid question but how much do you know how much you download? I'm assuming we use lots as we are very much a high tech family...3 phones on WiFi, 3 computers, one used for gaming, one streams music...oh and a smart tv.
  • Judi wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but how much do you know how much you download? I'm assuming we use lots as we are very much a high tech family...3 phones on WiFi, 3 computers, one used for gaming, one streams music...oh and a smart tv.

you would need a router that is able to track bandwidth consumption. I dont believe it is possible on the superhub 3. I had no idea how much i was downloading, its only when i spoke to virgin that they told me the stats
  • marginalone
    marginalone Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We are paying £52.99 per month. For Medium TV, 150MB Broadband, and Free Weekend Calls. My other half called up the other day to cancel and Retentions offered £44 for 100MB or £47 for 200Mb.
    They no longer offer 150MB Broadband.

The advisor advised, that if we downgraded to 100MB we wouldn't notice a speed difference?!

TV and Call package the same.

A one-off £50 credit was offered.

Or, scrap the TV and Call Package and only use the Broadband for £30 per month.

The missus declined and we are on 30 days notice.

Wonder if they will call?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We are paying £52.99 per month. For Medium TV, 150MB Broadband, and Free Weekend Calls. My other half called up the other day to cancel and Retentions offered £44 for 100MB or £47 for 200Mb.
    They no longer offer 150MB Broadband.

The advisor advised, that if we downgraded to 100MB we wouldn't notice a speed difference?!

TV and Call package the same.

A one-off £50 credit was offered.

Or, scrap the TV and Call Package and only use the Broadband for £30 per month.

The missus declined and we are on 30 days notice.

Wonder if they will call?

They may or may not as there are mixed experiences reported online, but mostly do. An order with a competitor such as BT including a number transfer has been known to prod them into action. Personally, it backfired and they didn't call back after the first call from retentions, so we ended up leaving. Now we are heading back as new customers in my wife's name - TopCashback were offering £220 until yesterday (be patient - it will likely be back next Monday if recent patterns are repeated!), so it worked out cheaper than the retentions deal :cool:. We have lost our phone number, but that is no big deal really as it only seems to be sales calls these days with family and friends calling mobiles :D).
  • Can I register as a new customer? Account is in wifes name
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can I register as a new customer? Account is in wifes name

I have done exactly this, the contract came through and kit installed so yes it is possible ... as I said in the post immediately above yours!
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2018 at 2:31PM
    Anon wrote: »
    I have done exactly this, the contract came through and kit installed so yes it is possible ... as I said in the post immediately above yours!

I seem to remember reading of people switching Sky into a partner's name, getting accepted but cashback then being declined when Sky spotted what they'd done - I wonder if there's a danger of the same thing with VM?

As a variation on this I'm wondering about taking over my son's account although we live at different addresses. Presumably I'd have to tell VM I was moving to his address (since I wouldn't pass the credit check unless I give my actual address as well) and hope they didn't query the same surname. Another concern is how having another address reported to the CRAs would affect my credit rating.
  • Was offered fifty pounds credit on my account by sales team but it was not applied. Called customer service today and they refused to credit me. They also did not take details of then complaint, refused to speak to the sales advisor that offered it even though I had her direct number, refused to listen to call recording and refused to put me through to the cancellation team, telling me to ring back. So this is my first experience of Virgin Media customer services. Even if I cancel lam going to have to pay that extra fifty quid and the rest. Don't do it folks!!! Their offers of credit are literally worthless! Seriously, if like me the offer of the account credit is what makes them more competitive, (and you expect actual customer service from your service provider) don't do it, don't switch to Virgin Media.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback