The Poundworld bargains thread

Comments

• LeeRits
    LeeRits Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If an item is over a pound, who cares? Just don't buy it :rotfl: No-one has a gun to your head making you buy anything and if you are 'deceived' and pick up a £5 item thinking it's a pound, just explain to the cashier you weren't aware it was £5 and to take it off the transaction, problem solved? :D
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 May 2017 at 2:03AM
    I've noticed Poundland don't seem to sell the Coley & Gill unscented tea lights any more - seems to be "The Original Candle Co" x 40 packs. I found the Coley & Gill unscented variety very good and with great burn times (over 4 hours).

Haven't tried the Poundworld varieties but Poundland tended to have the most for £1, so I stuck with what I knew.

From Argyle Street, Glasgow Poundworld, earlier:
    The Big Deal x 50 tea lights "4 hour burn time" - will see how I get on and will report back!

(Edit: *First tea light I tried lasted approx 3 hours, 20 minutes.)

Also picked up a mini Barbie Horoscope Series figure (mine is for Leo) - plenty of different star signs left.

More detailed picture of Leo here, too big a jpeg to add (packaging slightly different to mine, mentions a QR Code): https://www.entertainmentstore.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/a/barbie_leo_horoscope_series_-_dnt46_-_31517010743-1.jpg
    kg80fSH.jpg?1
    One thing I did notice, to my dismay, is that amongst the £1 core stock there IS higher-priced stock now placed beside £1 items on shelves (there's shelf labels, which is fine, but say you are an old-age pensioner with poor eyesight?).

There are oddities such as, Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner now being sold for £2 (the exact same ones that were selling for £1 not long ago).

Not sure if this is a trend throughout the store as it was nearly chucking-out time - didn't get a good look.
  • catswiththumbs
    catswiththumbs Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LouLou wrote: »
    I've noticed Poundland don't seem to sell the Coley & Gill unscented tea lights any more - seems to be "The Original Candle Co" x 40 packs. I found the Coley & Gill unscented variety very good and with great burn times (over 4 hours).

Haven't tried the Poundworld varieties but Poundland tended to have the most for £1, so I stuck with what I knew.

From Argyle Street, Glasgow Poundworld, earlier:
    The Big Deal x 50 tea lights "4 hour burn time" - will see how I get on and will report back!

(Edit: *First tea light I tried lasted approx 3 hours, 20 minutes.)

Also picked up a mini Barbie Horoscope Series figure (mine is for Leo) - plenty of different star signs left.

More detailed picture of Leo here, too big a jpeg to add (packaging slightly different to mine, mentions a QR Code): https://www.entertainmentstore.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/a/barbie_leo_horoscope_series_-_dnt46_-_31517010743-1.jpg
    kg80fSH.jpg?1
    One thing I did notice, to my dismay, is that amongst the £1 core stock there IS higher-priced stock now placed beside £1 items on shelves (there's shelf labels, which is fine, but say you are an old-age pensioner with poor eyesight?).

There are oddities such as, Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner now being sold for £2 (the exact same ones that were selling for £1 not long ago).

Not sure if this is a trend throughout the store as it was nearly chucking-out time - didn't get a good look.

I've been in Poundworld today and noticed the same - individual price tickets on the shelf edge and many items are now £2 or £3 that used to be £1!!!! I preferred the shop when the stuff that was more than £1 was kept in a separate aisle. I was just scanning the bottles of shampoo & conditioner looking for some bargains and though I'd found some (Aussie) until I noticed the shelf edge tickets (which incidentally are not on all the shelves yet).
  • sumoqueen
    sumoqueen Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds like the pound world stores are turning into their bargain buy stores!!!
    No buying toiletries challenge - possibly for most of 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015!
    £1 in sealed pot for each UU (2011 135/500:D) 2012 have UU 130/400 (never realised I had a mini chemist under my bed!!!) :rotfl:2013 UU 156/350. 2014 UU 197/250 2015 UU 16/100

Nursing is a work of heart by angels in comfortable shoes!!! :)
  • LouLou
    (Argyle Street, Glasgow) Urgh, apologies, the bottle of Aussie Miracle Moist that used to be £1 is actually £3 now, saw it in store earlier. Random prices all over the Toiletries section - the other departments still seem to be mostly £1 stock.
    Vdc1DFi.jpg?1
    Picked this up but I assume it's store specific - Herbal Essences Bee Strong Strengthening Conditioner 200ml at 50p.

Heinz Macaroni Cheese, Spaghetti Bolognese and Ravioli tins are 3 for £2.
  • KrankieLad
    KrankieLad Posts: 11 Forumite
    Poundworld in Bolton is the same, full of items priced over a £1 mixed in with everything else. According to the sales assistant it's been taken over by someone else and a few customers this week had been complaining about the new stock and tiny pricing labels. Staff member even said that many items they sold were cheaper elsewhere in Home Bargains and Poundstretcher. It was never my favourite store and I doubt I'll shop there again.

I do wonder if they will change their name.
  • sumoqueen
    sumoqueen Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KrankieLad wrote: »
    Poundworld in Bolton is the same, full of items priced over a £1 mixed in with everything else. According to the sales assistant it's been taken over by someone else and a few customers this week had been complaining about the new stock and tiny pricing labels. Staff member even said that many items they sold were cheaper elsewhere in Home Bargains and Poundstretcher. It was never my favourite store and I doubt I'll shop there again.

I do wonder if they will change their name.

My local has now been renamed Poundworld plus!
    No buying toiletries challenge - possibly for most of 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015!
    £1 in sealed pot for each UU (2011 135/500:D) 2012 have UU 130/400 (never realised I had a mini chemist under my bed!!!) :rotfl:2013 UU 156/350. 2014 UU 197/250 2015 UU 16/100

Nursing is a work of heart by angels in comfortable shoes!!! :)
  • LouLou
    edited 28 September 2017 at 12:44AM
    I'm a bit of a slacker, I admit it, haven't updated on my Poundworld purchases for ages (not in there as much, though)..!

Got these yesterday from Argyle Street, Glasgow - "Vanessa Richards" Double-Sided Face Cleansing Brush. Pretty sure I've seen them in store before now, but haven't purchased.

Usually I use a microfibre cloth and my favourite soap (usually Dove or Neutrogena Facial Bar - on import, bah) but this should give the skin a good exfoliating, and even make skin thicker over time, if you believe some skincare forums' chatter.

One side is silicone bristles (like a Foreo), the other is soft synthetic bristles - softer than the sonic electric brush I had, which I found too harsh to use everyday. Has a clear cap for the brush head-side.

£1 each (had to ask, as there were no shelf labels, slightly annoying)!2800185.jpg
  • LouLou
    It's my niece's dog's birthday tomorrow so I bought some bits from Poundworld, Argyle Street, Glasgow:

Giggle Treat Ball (the black one), Blue & Pink Loveheart Silicone (I think) Chew Toys, Rope Toy in Blue/Orange/Grey and Hi-Life Banquet Flaked Chicken With Rice And Liver 100g pouches, which were 2 x 50p.

The Pedigree Tasty Bites Cheesy Nibbles (with Cheese And Beef) 140g are from the big Argyle Street Poundland, to put inside the treat toy.
    Mhs1td6.jpg?1
  • Nothing brand new, but what do you expect for a quid?

Just got Code Name Geronimo and Sex Tape.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure