Zanussi Solar Quote

lucylou32
lucylou32 Posts: 138 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 July 2017 at 2:15PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
I had a call, out of the blue. I was bored, so answered a few questions, then I got a quote through, that looks both confusing and too good to be true. I'd love some opinions on it please.

Estimated income and savings over 25yrs £22,888.14
Energy saving over 25yrs £11,726.45
Generation tariff income over 20yrs £3,960.19
Export tariff over 20yrs £2,447.29
Roof estimated annual output 3696.8832kWh

Feed in tariff reads as £150 in year 1, increasing with inflation to £253 in year 20.

I live in Tonbridge, Kent. House is south facing and he said he could fit 10-12 panels on the roof. Estimate electric usage for 12 months : 6477.20 (according to British gas)

Price £6,350 if cash. Assume it's more if finance

If you need more info to advise, let me know and I'll see what I can find. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hiya lucylou.

Tricky part here is that without knowing how many, and what type of panels can be fitted, it's tricky to work out the rest.

But for now, based on the numbers you've given, I'd guess that the annual generation is based on a 4kWp system.

The generation tariff and export tariff look correct, and I think they've used a 2.5% inflation rate to get to those 20yr totals, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

But, the leccy savings look over egged. Typically on here folk suggest savings of £120 pa. You can do better, but it depends on the size of the system, how much you consume, and if someone is home during the day to switch things on (eg dishwasher, washing machine) to make most use of sunshine.

As you have a high consumption, nearly twice the average, you would probably save more, perhaps £150 pa or more, but obviously this is a guess.

From that £150pa we can use their FiT tariff figure since that is also £150pa, giving you perhaps another £3,960 in savings, but not the nearly £12k they suggest (for 25yrs).

If you can measure your roof, then it's easier to estimate what will fit on, and from that what you could earn. If you're able to measure it from the inside, that'll give a fairly good estimate of the useable space on the outside (as spare needs to be left all round).

For a 4kWp system, ideally you want to try to get it for about £5k, but the market is all over the place now, as a lot of companies have gone bust due to some subsidy changes in 2016.

For general background see the FAQ's, link in my autosig.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lucylou32
    lucylou32 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The house is about 11 meters from left to right and 4 meters from front to back. Dunno if that helps. I agre that 4K sounds more realistic than 12k, so I think we'll cancel the appointment for now and reexamine in a year or two. Thank you.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hiya, if the roof is roughly 11m by 4m, then there should be room for 10 panels portrait wide, by 2 panels high, so up to 20 panels. Normal panels are 1m wide and 1.6m tall.

Ideally you would be looking at 285Wp panels minimum, so that gives you around 5.7kWp. So a 5kWp to 6kWp system would be very nice, and as you go bigger, the price gets proportionately cheaper, as there are a lot of fixed costs.

So 6kWp for £7k or less perhaps.

Just to warn you that if going that big you might want an inverter that can output more than 3.68kW, and that will require prior permission from your DNO (district network operator), but the installers will research this beforehand for you.

So sounds like you have a good roof, just need to find a good price.

As you have high consumption, and potentially a large PV system, then you'd probably benefit from some sort of battery storage.

But batts are still very expensive, and not yet viable, however they are falling fast in price, so something to keep abreast of for 2020 perhaps. Some news on batts in this thread.

All the best.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    lucylou32 wrote: »

Estimated income and savings over 25yrs £22,888.14
    Energy saving over 25yrs £11,726.45
    Generation tariff income over 20yrs £3,960.19
    Export tariff over 20yrs £2,447.29
    Roof estimated annual output 3696.8832kWh

Feed in tariff reads as £150 in year 1, increasing with inflation to £253 in year 20.

Even given the unrealistic energy savings figure of £11,726.45. How have they reached a total figure of £22,888.14?

Could it be that they have made an assumption that you would invest the annual savings/FIT/export each year @ ??%

Of course they ignore the loss of interest on the £6,350 capital outlay - even at today's dismal rates it is possible to get 2% on safe long term savings - £127pa compounded!

Then of course factor in any cost of repairs/replacement in the 25 years
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2017 at 11:42AM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    ... For a 4kWp system, ideally you want to try to get it for about £5k, but the market is all over the place now, as a lot of companies have gone bust due to some subsidy changes in 2016 ....
    Hi

Interesting set of pv installation price analysis charts (set of 4) by the various FiT bandings here ... https://vriconian.wixsite.com/site/single-post/2017/06/16/UK-Solar-PV-Installation-Cost-Analysis-April13-March17---1-4kWp ...

As the prices shown are averaged over a considerable number of installations, anyone should obviously look to pay below the lowest of the average or trend line - The difference between the mean and median average obviously shows that some customers are paying well over the odds, so it would probably be best to compare to the lower (median) measure.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater
    edited 17 July 2017 at 2:53PM
    lucylou32 wrote: »
    The house is about 11 meters from left to right and 4 meters from front to back. Dunno if that helps. I agre that 4K sounds more realistic than 12k, so I think we'll cancel the appointment for now and reexamine in a year or two. Thank you.
    Hi

Sorry, I missed this bit ....

You don't need to leave it for a couple of years to get a better price as there's bound to be an installer in your area which can better the £6350 price you've been given - if you're interested there's likely to be someone with solar panels on this site within the Kent/London/South Coast area who'd be able to help find a more competitive price. .

Martyn's point related to price falls by 2020 relate to battery packs, not the solar pv system itself - the batteries could be added later. If you want to see the rate of price reduction, have a look at the chart in the link I provided in the earlier post which gives an idea of movement for systems under 4kWp ... if you are looking at a larger than 4kWp system as Martyn mentioned, the site also has a price analysis of larger systems (up to 50kWp) on 'related' links somewhere on the same page.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Yep, and most of the quotes seem to be from my posts.
    .... :rotfl::rotfl:.... probably because you post so much ... :T ... After-all, random selection for copy/paste must logically be subject to the law of averages as applied to the available resource ... ;)

Z
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport