Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• joshardy
    joshardy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wish I'd read this thread a week ago. Cancelled Sky (on the full package) and got a letter asking them to call to discuss new offers. Got 50% off (which I can't really complain about) but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so thinking I'll get back in touch via the online chat and ask, as I'm in my cooling off period, would they offer free installation and maybe upgrade to Sky Q. What's the worst they could say??
  • I've got the whole TV package including all sport, films, etc and muliroom (TV in 2 different rooms) and last year cancelled when the price was £92. A day before the end of the notice period they offered me it for £46 which I accepted. This year I called them and told them to cancel again as it was too expensive and they offered me an £8 reduction which I refused. They then put me onto retentions and I said I didn't want to pay more than £46 but was only offered a reduction from £92 to £62 which I accepted but it is an 18 month contract. I have 31 days cooling off and I'm now thinking that 18 months is too long and that the reduction is not enough. What are the chances of them re-negotiating if I withdraw from the contract during the cooling off period?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got the whole TV package including all sport, films, etc and muliroom (TV in 2 different rooms) and last year cancelled when the price was £92. A day before the end of the notice period they offered me it for £46 which I accepted. This year I called them and told them to cancel again as it was too expensive and they offered me an £8 reduction which I refused. They then put me onto retentions and I said I didn't want to pay more than £46 but was only offered a reduction from £92 to £62 which I accepted but it is an 18 month contract. I have 31 days cooling off and I'm now thinking that 18 months is too long and that the reduction is not enough. What are the chances of them re-negotiating if I withdraw from the contract during the cooling off period?

Every chance I'd have thought. That's a poor offer btw.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    joshardy wrote: »
    Wish I'd read this thread a week ago. Cancelled Sky (on the full package) and got a letter asking them to call to discuss new offers. Got 50% off (which I can't really complain about) but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so thinking I'll get back in touch via the online chat and ask, as I'm in my cooling off period, would they offer free installation and maybe upgrade to Sky Q. What's the worst they could say??

I think the house move is free anyway so don't let them use that as a tactic.
  • joshardy
    It's saying £35 for a house move on the website - I'll keep you posted!
  • joshardy
    Sky playing hardball on the move cost and no upgrade to Sky Q! Just cancelled and will go for a 'come back to Sky' option and hopefully haven't just cut my nose off to spite my face!
  • astra46
    astra46 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Ive just had SKY Q fitted. Too late to see if i can get a better deal? Or do you get 14 days to cancel?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    got free line rental and broadband for 10 pounds a month, had free broadband and line rental last year. Took me calling every day and cancelling before the contract finishes end of the month.

For some reason Sky chat doesn't work for me, the button doesn't light up to click it, maybe they banned me for getting deals :)
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Already just reading these I feel ripped off! I pay on average £30-£35 a month give or take (and usually it's give). I don't have a TV and don't have fiber (it's not available where I live). It's just a basic landline (which I do actually use if only to be contactable- weekend calls free) and basic internet. I've been with Sky for about 15 months now.

I'm wary of moving, I have been with BT, PlusNet, Talktalk and even tried Virgin (never again) and unreliable is too small a word for any on that list...when I had a contract with o2 I found I had the best and most reliable service...then they sold to Sky. I'm wary of moving elsewhere but really need to lower the cost.

What/where exactly do I do to get my bill lowered? Is it best to phone or use the online chat? I'm not sure by reading because it's not always clear which route people took. Is it better to try on a certain time of the day or day of the week? I'm used to just jumping ship at the end of 12/18/24 months rather than haggling so any tips would be appreciated!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Already just reading these I feel ripped off! I pay on average £30-£35 a month give or take (and usually it's give). I don't have a TV and don't have fiber (it's not available where I live). It's just a basic landline (which I do actually use if only to be contactable- weekend calls free) and basic internet. I've been with Sky for about 15 months now.

I'm wary of moving, I have been with BT, PlusNet, Talktalk and even tried Virgin (never again) and unreliable is too small a word for any on that list...when I had a contract with o2 I found I had the best and most reliable service...then they sold to Sky. I'm wary of moving elsewhere but really need to lower the cost.

What/where exactly do I do to get my bill lowered? Is it best to phone or use the online chat? I'm not sure by reading because it's not always clear which route people took. Is it better to try on a certain time of the day or day of the week? I'm used to just jumping ship at the end of 12/18/24 months rather than haggling so any tips would be appreciated!
    If you're out of contract (or coming up to it) you first need to research how much the other suppliers would charge you including Virgin (doesn't matter if you won't use them). That gives you ammunition.

People have had success using every method of contact but you won't get a good deal in your first call or chat, it needs perseverance.

There's new communication methods now too (not sure if you can renegotiate through them though). You can use the My Sky app on Android/iOS, SMS or Facebook Messenger.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Websites/Sky-s-messaging-service-the-new-easy-way-to-contact-us/td-p/2583924
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback