How do you use your PIP?

In another thread someone asked how people use the money they get from PIP, particularly if the y have no additional costs. It is an interesting question,. If I am awarded PIP, my plans are to use it to access treatment which I hope will eventually make me ineligible for PIP. Any money left after that would go to reducing the burden on my OH, who has uncomplainingly picked up all the tasks I used to do. Without him I would be facing significant costs now.

Comments

• bspm
    bspm Posts: 541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 2:27PM
    Stoodles wrote: »
    In another thread someone asked how people use the money they get from PIP, particularly if the y have no additional costs. It is an interesting question,. If I am awarded PIP, my plans are to use it to access treatment which I hope will eventually make me ineligible for PIP. Any money left after that would go to reducing the burden on my OH, who has uncomplainingly picked up all the tasks I used to do. Without him I would be facing significant costs now.

I save mine and use it for holidays mainly. I too have a significant other half that picks up all the extra work that needs doing that I can no longer do.
    Although we are unfortunate with my disability we are very fortunate in other ways, we own our home outright, have both taken early retirement and are very comfortable money wise if not health wise.

If I were still working then my salary would have been used in exactly the same way I now use PIP for.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,727
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For shelving before I break my neck trying to move around this house
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Crack cocaine mostly.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    im still on dla and use 70% of the vare award to co fund my ps snf the mobility part is used for petrol/parking/bus fares etc.
    The remaining part of the care i save to buy gadgets that help me do what i need to
  • nannytone wrote: »
    im still on dla and use 70% of the vare award to co fund my ps snf the mobility part is used for petrol/parking/bus fares etc.
    The remaining part of the care i save to buy gadgets that help me do what i need to

....and the other 30% of the care award??
    And as for the mobility element everybody has to pay for petrol/parking/bus fares whether they are disabled or not. What you quote don't appear to be the extra costs resulting from your disability.
  • As you know I gave both my DLA care and mobility award to my children. At least I am making use of it - I could have spent it on holidays instead, but then that isn't an extra cost owing to my disabilities either.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As you know I gave both my DLA care and mobility award to my children. At least I am making use of it - I could have spent it on holidays instead, but then that isn't an extra cost owing to my disabilities either.

I fly business class, that is why I use the PIP payment, a business class seat (bed) is a lot more than coach class, it is used for my disability.

I too am making use of mine thank you.

:beer: :T
  • bspm wrote: »
    I fly business class, that is why I use the PIP payment, a business class seat (bed) is a lot more than coach class, it is used for my disability.

I too am making use of mine thank you.

:beer: :T
    Very good. Pity that I am not allowed to fly due to my condition and secondly because I can't afford the insurance premium - I was quoted for a 1 week visit to France £1675.
  • CTcelt1988
    CTcelt1988 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Your in no position Rockingbilly to judge others what they spend their PIP on, when you give your money away to your grandchildren.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ....and the other 30% of the care award??
    And as for the mobility element everybody has to pay for petrol/parking/bus fares whether they are disabled or not. What you quote don't appear to be the extra costs resulting from your disability.

It is if you can't walk and have no choice but to drive. Especially if you need more space for a wheelchair, scooter etc.

Some able bodied people can walk a mile to work, most disabled people cannot, so petrol in this case would be an extra cost because of the disability, as would parking, bus fares etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure