Are leather seats overrated?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Well, it does when you come to sell it. Jaguar/Merc/etc. buyers expect leather, and cloth cars suffer greather depreciation.

On the other hand, leather in a Fiesta doesn't add to the value. It's seen as polishing a t**d.

Yup exactly.
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    Richard53 wrote: »
    I can remember when 'cloth seats' was an upgrade from the base spec.

I sold new Austin Rovers when i was 19 back in 1988. The Metro City had part vinyl seats and you didnt get full faced cloth seats unless you upgraded to the City X. Even then the backs of the seats were vinyl.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I sold new Austin Rovers when i was 19 back in 1988. The Metro City had part vinyl seats and you didnt get full faced cloth seats unless you upgraded to the City X. Even then the backs of the seats were vinyl.
    I nearly bought one of those, around the same time. Appleyards in Leeds. The sales technique was so brutal that I left, crossed the road, and bought a Renault 5. Full luxury cloth and metallic paint.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If they're describing it as genuine leather then it needs to be genuine leather and not bonded or coated leather, otherwise they'll likely be guilty of an offence under CPRs.

As for the seats, leathers preferable if you have animals or young kids imo.

Genuine leather is bonded leather. That is exactly what genuine leather is.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-is-genuine-leather-2016-1
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »

I had a white D reg Metro City X 1.0 that I inherited from my grandma. Brown cloth seats with vinyl backs. I scrapped it in 2008.

I wish I still had it.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 7:58PM
    i
    Richard53 wrote: »
    I nearly bought one of those, around the same time. Appleyards in Leeds. The sales technique was so brutal that I left, crossed the road, and bought a Renault 5. Full luxury cloth and metallic paint.

We were a big out of city dealers here in NI. No hard sell, but we still sold loads of cars.

The dealership is still going strong - they took on other franchises after Rovers demise - and still do a lot of local trade and repeat business.
  • I am sitting on my sofa now, a sofa that everyone raves about when they comes over to my house. The material is faux suede I believe. The little one is always getting his food and water all over it. A quick scrub and it looks brand new. Never cold to the touch, too warm or stick to your skin like leather. Maybe cars should go for this material instead of the perceived luxury of leather.
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    I am sitting on my sofa now, a sofa that everyone raves about when they comes over to my house. The material is faux suede I believe. The little one is always getting his food and water all over it. A quick scrub and it looks brand new. Never cold to the touch, too warm or stick to your skin like leather. Maybe cars should go for this material instead of the perceived luxury of leather.

A lot of cars do. Our Merc has faux leather and i'm pretty sure faux alcantara insets too. But then we didnt buy it for the "luxury" aspect of it.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    only if you are a cow, veggie or vegan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts