PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    WOW!!! MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
    I wonder if the estate agent was drunk when they wrote this one.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • swingaloo wrote: »
    Not what I would call a 'HIGHLY EXECUTIVE FINISH' as the estate agent calls it, but then again it does have a Large brick paved DIVE (albeit full of weeds) and a LAW area at the back (which probably hasn't seen a mower this year.
    However it does have an exceedingly high wall cupboard in the kitchen and the Gym really has wow factor.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76025909.html

If what I'm looking at is imo "Normal for my home area" standard - but it's being described as "highly executive finish" = that's got me wondering just how bad the area is if that's that areas' definition of "highly executive":cool:
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If what I'm looking at is imo "Normal for my home area" standard - but it's being described as "highly executive finish" = that's got me wondering just how bad the area is if that's that areas' definition of "highly executive":cool:

Think about what that would cost in your mysterious 'home area'.

It would easily be double that around here.

This is Westhoughton not West Didsbury.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Think about what that would cost in your mysterious 'home area'.

It would easily be double that around here.

This is Westhoughton not West Didsbury.
    In my old 'home area,' which used to be a posh bit of Bath, that would be over £500k nowadays, but there's no hideous brick stuff in Bath, apart from some cheap railway workers' terraces in Widcombe.

However, my 'home area' is in Devon now, and I don't feel like a refugee, so what it would cost in Bath is irrelevant.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    In my old 'home area,' which used to be a posh bit of Bath, that would be over £500k nowadays, but there's no hideous brick stuff in Bath, apart from some cheap railway workers' terraces in Widcombe.

However, my 'home area' is in Devon now, and I don't feel like a refugee, so what it would cost in Bath is irrelevant.
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Not what I would call a 'HIGHLY EXECUTIVE FINISH' as the estate agent calls it, but then again it does have a Large brick paved DIVE (albeit full of weeds) and a LAW area at the back (which probably hasn't seen a mower this year.
    However it does have an exceedingly high wall cupboard in the kitchen and the Gym really has wow factor.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76025909.html

Looks a bit dismal to me, not my kind of thing at all. Clean though, that's a plus.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Looks a bit dismal to me.
    Yes, it might be ex-council, I suppose.

I'm not against brick; I used it on our conservatory....but there are many kinds of bricks, as I found out when I went to buy them. Never been so confused by something apparently so simple. Still don't know if what I chose was what I got! :o
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Yes, it might be ex-council, I suppose.

I'm not against brick; I used it on our conservatory....but there are many kinds of bricks, as I found out when I went to buy them. Never been so confused by something apparently so simple. Still don't know if what I chose was what I got! :o

Agreed.

I found that out with this house - as I was told to choose what style (ie colour etc) of brick I wanted for something and duly thought "The photo shows that type of brick used to build a home - must be sturdy etc".

To subsequently think - "Those bricks he used don't look that great quality to me. How can that be - when they've been used to build a house there?"

Then I found out that there is this concept of "seconds" bricks and I'd be willing to bet that's what he used. Well - we didn't agree "seconds bricks" - we agreed "bricks". There was no mention anywhere of them being seconds:mad:
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Agreed.

I found that out with this house - as I was told to choose what style (ie colour etc) of brick I wanted for something and duly thought "The photo shows that type of brick used to build a home - must be sturdy etc".

To subsequently think - "Those bricks he used don't look that great quality to me. How can that be - when they've been used to build a house there?"

Then I found out that there is this concept of "seconds" bricks and I'd be willing to bet that's what he used. Well - we didn't agree "seconds bricks" - we agreed "bricks". There was no mention anywhere of them being seconds:mad:

Another example of 'Perfidious Cambria'? ;)
  • julicorn wrote: »
    WOW!!! MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
    I wonder if the estate agent was drunk when they wrote this one.

Maybe the EA is going for the dodgy ebay seller technique of marketing. Not quite all the way there though, they should have stared the listing with "L@@K!!!!!" for the full effect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure