Lost money on expired gift card!!

Options
123457»

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The post you quoted was published in February. :)

As I originally said in direct response, threads this old should be closed to new posts automatically.

Regardless, the thread was bumped up very recently with a new query nothing to do with expired gift cards and duly answered.

I believe at least some threads are locked automatically but that is based on how long since the last post not the start date of the thread and this one has just kept ticking every so often.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    I believe at least some threads are locked automatically
    No, the old threads which you see locked were done manually by the admin team.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2019 at 10:52PM
    Options
    No, the old threads which you see locked were done manually by the admin team.

In competitions time there are over 900,000 locked threads in the game over section with every thread where the last post (which in the majority of cases would be the only post) was made before 01:15 am on 28/11/2017 locked - I doubt this is done manually as apart from anything else the posts are really in a dead section so it makes no difference if they are bumped or not so locking them manually really would be pointless.

Also some posts that are in use but might not need to be posted on again for years are posted on each time before two years are up to prevent them being locked as some had been in the past.

Clearly not something that happens forum wide though judging by the dates on the old threads in this section
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2019 at 4:27AM
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    In competitions time there are over 900,000 locked threads in the game over section with every thread where the last post (which in the majority of cases would be the only post) was made before 01:15 am on 28/11/2017 locked - I doubt this is done manually
    Those threads don't require anyone to read and decide on whether they should be locked as they are very definitely no longer suitable for posting on in the future. For discussion threads it's not always that simple and I think that's why they aren't locked automatically. I still think they should be with a re-direction for users to start a new thread if they want to respond to a topic raised.

The thread -bumping which takes place here is due to a number of reasons, some is due to lack of experience using forums, some is due to laziness and some is downright trolling.

This thread is now becoming completely de-railed by our discussion. If you want to continue, I suggest you start a new thread about it in the "Forum Feedback" section.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Labsuper wrote: »
    I can't think of any retailer that refunds a gift card.

I bought something from Tesco with gift card. I took it back and they actually insisted that it be refunded to my credit card.
  • I had two Debenhams gift cards which expired four years ago. Total value £80. Emailed Debenhams to be told sorry, refer to terms and conditions. I persisted and asked where my £80 went. A week later I received a refund off them. Keep persisting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure