Permanent low paid job to Fixed term high paid

Hi all, I'm working in a government department in New Zealand for the past 2 years since finished my PhD from Europe. I am holding a permanent senior analyst role but my pay doesn't match my position and getting paid 10K less than others in a similar role due to my lack of experience (if you count the years of experience) but I competed with others with experience when I got this role, and I am very productive and better than most at my level. My manager wasn't sure if I was good enough when offered me the position so she put me in a lower salary range than what I was supposed to get for my position. Now she apologised for that after seeing my performance and tried to increase to normal range but failed twice in past two financial years due to a tight budget so I lost hope. I like my job but low paid (so lower savings), and I don't have super stress at work and can spend quality time with family very well. I have a family with a toddler, have no financial liabilities except paying rent on time and buy food etc. and at the end of the month, I can save $1000. But it will take years to save for a deposit for buying a house here.

I'm about to get a 3-yr fixed-term job offer in Australia at a University (one step lower than my current position level at NZ, Senior Analyst to Analyst ) and I would love to work there for years but currently, they have the only 3-yr position as an analyst. The research centre at the University just opened recently will pay me about $30k extra per year than what I'm getting now in NZ and my living expenses will be similar so my savings will be doubled ($2000/month), which might help me save a deposit for a house there quickly. I feel there might be slightly more work stress than my current position but I don’t think it will be a huge issue. I have a feeling that I will be able to extend my position for few more years there and may be able to find a longer-term position after that in the same organization or somewhere else in the same city.

So, I’m in a dilemma and finding difficulties to make a decision - whether I should leave the permanent position to get a fixed-term position for better pay? Would love to hear your advice?

Comments

• Think you also have to factor in the different lifestyles in Australia & NZ....from my limited experience, NZ seems much more laid back than Australia.

What's your family plans? Would you want more children ? I'm only asking as that, along with wanting to buy a house, may make financial security more important.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    palc wrote: »
    ... will pay me about $30k extra per year than what I'm getting now in NZ and my living expenses will be similar so my savings will be doubled ($2000/month),

You will earn $30k extra with similar expenses, so can save $12k extra? I don't know how much of the $30k will go on tax, but this doesn't seem to add up. If savings are your motivation then it looks like you could save more.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport