WWYD brexit/mortgage

My husband has been told by his colleagues that everyone should be locking themselves into a good mortgage deal ahead of Brexit.

Now I can't massively argue with this advice for the average homeowner but we (mainly me) have been MFWers for the last 4 years. We've paid off £40k (in under 4 years) whilst only earning £50k annually and we are out of term with our mortgage company after been locked into a hellish 10 year fix.

Our variable rate currently stands at 1.7% with £76k left to go, our term is 16 years remaining but we look to be done in 7 (less if I return to work) - I can't find anything that's even close to that without massive sign up fees or overpayment penalties. We OP by £300 PM with extras thrown on ad hoc.

I've always valued the advice on here - what would you do? Say on current course and ride the market (BEBR would need to get to 10% before we were paying more than we are currently).or fix the best fix.

Just need some points and ideas to fuel my arguement and stick with my gut when hashing this out with my VERY risk adverse DH.

OR
is there a secret 3rd option :rotfl:
Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
2019 : £77,900

Comments

• Don't take this as expert advice, as i'm not expert but...

I expect that things will be a bit up and down for a while. Its just that the "while" as yet has no definite start point, never mind end point. Our current fix ends early March and we have 5-6yrs left of our MFW plans, so our strategy has been to go for a 5yr fix @ 2.08% (no fee's, unlimited OPs). 2yrs doesn't seem quite long enough for any turbulence given the length of the "transition period" should our MP's ever agree on a deal.

So our deal it half a percent increase on our last fix, but I'm happy with the security for what will be the vast majority of our remaining mortgage life and I would hope that 5yrs is enough for things to "settle down". And after that fix we should be under £10k remaining and that may well be a time for 0% credit cards to finish.

Again don't take this as expert advice, it's just an explanation of our strategy. with my rationale.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • My husband has been told by his colleagues that everyone should be locking themselves into a good mortgage deal ahead of Brexit.

Now I can't massively argue with this advice for the average homeowner but we (mainly me) have been MFWers for the last 4 years. We've paid off £40k (in under 4 years) whilst only earning £50k annually and we are out of term with our mortgage company after been locked into a hellish 10 year fix.

Our variable rate currently stands at 1.7% with £76k left to go, our term is 16 years remaining but we look to be done in 7 (less if I return to work) - I can't find anything that's even close to that without massive sign up fees or overpayment penalties. We OP by £300 PM with extras thrown on ad hoc.

I've always valued the advice on here - what would you do? Say on current course and ride the market (BEBR would need to get to 10% before we were paying more than we are currently).or fix the best fix.

Just need some points and ideas to fuel my arguement and stick with my gut when hashing this out with my VERY risk adverse DH.

OR
    is there a secret 3rd option :rotfl:

Firstly - sorry about your hellish 10 year fix :(

Secondly - that's a great svr you are on. Mine was 4.2% which I went on just over a year ago.

However you question is "What would you do" :) So here goes;

1. I would need a comfortable savings pot.
    2. I would also need to be confident I could pay £300 o/p per month of these 2 points were met, then I would go ahead with my next stage.

Which is adding the £300 o/p monthly onto my "normal" mortgage payment, then work out how many years it would take to clear the mortgage.

I would then go for a 5 year deal and reduce my years to the figure they quote with the new payment ("normal" plus o/p of £300.00).

I would also consider using a lump sum out of my savings before going into a new deal, this could be repaid back to savings rather than o/ping the mortgage for a few months (this method saved me ££'s on interest charged).

Another factor I would take into consideration would be a 0% CC :eek: used sensibly, can also make a difference.:)

These last 2 suggestions above, helped me become MF sooner than I ever thought possible.

And last comment to ponder over is in the last few years, your mortgage (interest) drops at such a rate
    that your goal of MF will come quicker than you will ever think is possible :j

Good Luck x
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Hi, sorry if this is a silly question... I have read a few threads lately where it has referred to using 0% credit cards to pay off mortgage. How would this actually work in practice? Can you just make a big payment to your mortgage with a cc? Wouldnt this be classed as cash and therefore higher charges?
    "Never underestimate the power of small amounts"
    New Mortgage started March 17 £236,000 (28 years) NOW £231,500 March 3 18. 68% LTV. £221,100 Aug 19 £210,000 Jan 2020 £206000 April 2020 £204000 May £202,997, Aug 20 £199,554, Dec 20 £196,629 June 21 £185,200
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Re 0% credit cards, you would open a card that has 0% fiance over 36 months (for example), then do a one off balance transfer in cash to your account which you then redirect to mortgage. There would be a fee for the transfer, anything from 1% to 4%.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Thanks everyone.

I'm looking at a 2.05% fix for 5 years.... or 7.... still so confused but think that actually I'm right to lock in - I'm just sad that it will mean saying goodbye to our 0.95%+BBR variable rate.

Any more advice gratefully received!
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Nobody really knows what will happen over the next couple of years, but think of a fixed rate as being a bit like insurance - you're paying a bit extra, for certainty that your payments won't go up. If a rate rise would squeeze your finances hard then that's insurance worth taking. Paying off other debt and ensuring you have cash savings are other forms of insurance too - a S&S ISA less so, as you don't want to be a forced seller in a downturn.

One potential option - when I remortgaged last year, I was able to 'lock in' a fixed rate six months ahead of the actual remortgage date. As my mortgage is relatively small, I went for a no-fee, slightly-higher rate deal, but could have cancelled it at any time up until the remortgage date without penalty. So that was effectively a free option: if I found a cheaper deal within those six months I could switch to that (at no cost), but if I didn't, I'd have the locked-in rate.

If you can find something similar, then it might be worth considering - if everything unwinds with no drama over the next few months then you could cancel the new deal and stay on your SVR, if not, you have an option to switch to even if rates jump up, as you already have the deal lined up.

Personally i'd speculate that the politicians would do everything in their power to avoid interest rate rises blowing up an over-indebted electorate in the event of a Brexit-triggered slump - substantial rate rises in an economic downturn would be horrible for many people. But that's just my speculation, nothing more.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Re 0% credit cards, you would open a card that has 0% fiance over 36 months (for example), then do a one off balance transfer in cash to your account which you then redirect to mortgage. There would be a fee for the transfer, anything from 1% to 4%.

An alternative is to get a 0% on purchases card (e.g. 18 months), put all your spending on it, make minimum payments, and put the free cash (total spending minus minimum payment) on the mortgage (or other debt). No up-front fees this way.

I don't love any card-based approach, as you're really swapping low-rate, long-term debt (mortgage) for high-rate, short-term debt (credit card), but there are times when it could be useful for cash flow management. However, if you're using cards then you need to remember that at the end of the 0% period you'll have a significant credit card balance to get rid of, so you need a plan for that aspect too.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I just locked in a 5 year fix @ 1.97%, bit of a jump up from the current 1.39% but I figured it would be worth it to ride this Brexit wave...

I regularly overpay my mortgage but kept my term the same, this gives me the flexibility if I need to return to normal monthly payments each month, I'm not currently in a position to pay off over 10% a year so it won't affect me.
  • Yes I imagine the rates wont rise but I think a compromise would be a fixed deal to give us peace of mind. A 10% overpayment cap may get annoying towards the end of 5 years but we can lump it in a savings AC for when we're free.
  • Wildesavings - have you looked at First Direct? I believe they do not cap overpayments.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure