Never had a credit card..

Options

Comments

• bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So i just applied for that Virgin one and got this at the end of my application

15rhysz.png
  • MidlandsGlory
    MidlandsGlory Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 February 2018 at 7:44PM
    Options
    How about Asda?

1% cashback in Asda, 0.5% everywhere else, no fee (if you don't apply for the one with a fee!)

They also do a 'starter' version, same benefits but with only a £600 limit initially. Might be worth a go if you fail on the standard cashback application.

money.asda.com/credit-cards/

(only catch is the cashback is paid out in Asda vouchers, but everyone has to shop and its won't be a lot of money so you will spend it easily on normal commodities)
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    bones85 wrote: »
    So i just applied for that Virgin one and got this at the end of my application

15rhysz.png

Why did you apply for the Virgin card when the suggestion was already made that you would have a better chance of being accepted for the Aqua one?

ricky_v wrote: »
    I would apply for Aqua reward. It's a sub-prime card (means you're more likely to get accepted), 0.5% cashback and you can use it for purchases in the USA as there's no FX fee and you'll get a perfect rate. DO NOT use it to withdraw cash and ALWAYS pay the statement balance off in full every month and there will be no interest due. As suggested by other posters set the DD to pay it off in full.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards#aquareward

Credit cards can be incredibly useful and money saving if used correctly. Read the T+C's carefully and understand fully how they work so they work to your benefit.

Your problem is you are 32 and have never had a card so to lenders you are seen as an unknown - they don't know whether you can handle debt or whether you will take the money and default. For people in this position, your best chance is to start with subprime cards and then once you've had that for a while then apply for a mainstream card such as Virgin. You wasted a hard search for nothing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • bones85
    Options
    Because Alliekat recommended the virgin one and said the Aqua one was a nightmare to deal with

I'm all new to this, sorry for not listening

It's obviously affected me credit score, what would be the best thing to do now? Wait 6 months to apply for a credit card i;m more than likely to be accepted for or wait longer or apply for one now?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apply for the aqua card. They're fine to deal with - all you need to do is set up a full pay DD and you're done.

If you're rejected, leave it a few months before reapplying.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm all new to this, sorry for not listening
    Don't worry. Looking back I can see how you were confused by irrelevant advice. We don't know just how limited your credit history actually is, if you have checked your files or card eligibility calculator, have existing facility such as mobile phone contract or bank current account etc.

The best advice now is from zx81 (as usual) above. A credit card will be useful for your trip next month if you personally need hotel or car rental etc, but if your application fails you can still use prepaid cards such as Revolut or loot.io that don't involve a credit check. They, like Aqua Reward, will give you ideal rates instead of more costly purchase of cash dollars, and will be good backup even if you do get the CC..
    Evolution, not revolution
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you purchase something on a credit card, and pay it off before the bill arrives, does that still increase your credit rating? Sure i read somewhere that if you pay it off too quickly, it wont increase your credit score at all
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't have a credit rating or a credit score. Just a credit history.

Wait for your statement before clearing in full, so you can be sure that your files show you are using it.
  • bones85
    Options
    Apply for the aqua card. They're fine to deal with - all you need to do is set up a full pay DD and you're done.

If you're rejected, leave it a few months before reapplying.
    Even though i've already been rejected by virgin?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even though i've already been rejected by virgin?
    Sure, why not, Aqua has no connection to Virgin, and they are more 'subprime' - easier to get with limited credit history. What does the MSE eligibility calculator show as your chances for the Aqua Reward?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport