Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee

Comments

• I’m genuinly asking, I would think that curve have to report to the issuer what type of transaction has occurred? This may not be the case, can anyone confirm?

I’m not sure to be honest.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    I’m genuinly asking, I would think that curve have to report to the issuer what type of transaction has occurred? This may not be the case, can anyone confirm?

I’m not sure to be honest.

To the card issuer Curve is just another merchant, so they don't need to tell the issuer what you've "purchased" any more than Sainsbury's does (at least as I understand it).
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I used curve to top up my Monzo card while it was (accidentally) linked to my Lloyds CC instead of my DC. Curve classed it as "Business services" while Lloyds classed it as "Professional services not elsewhere classified". Lloyds has been classing all of my purchases through curve using this description however, regardless of whether it's food, online shopping, bills, etc. Not sure how other CC providers might see this, particularly if you withdrew cash from an ATM. Either way I feel this would probably go against the fair use and cash recycling parts of the T&Cs for curve if you did it constantly...
  • robram2
    robram2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    What about using curve to buy currency online? As it’s a debit card, I shouldn’t be charged as a cash advance by my card issuer, but will my card issuer pick up on this and charge me?
  • robram2 wrote: »
    What about using curve to buy currency online? As it’s a debit card, I shouldn’t be charged as a cash advance by my card issuer, but will my card issuer pick up on this and charge me?

Your card issuer won't know what you've bought, so no worries there. Curve may not allow it though, if they think you're cash recycling, so be careful or your account could be blocked. An occasional transaction should be right though.
  • Just tried it with Debenhams and it got declined immediately, so I guess this type of transaction is blocked by curve.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    I wasn't able to use my Curve card to buy a FairFX card - was told didn't accept card type. Tesco bank also block it as unaccepted card type too.
  • If you have the newer card it seems to get round more merchant blocks than previously as it's not the commerical pre-paid.

Curve do add their own blocks though as above.

They're introducing Apple Pay soon - that'll could shake things up. AFAIK any merchants accepting ApplePay wouldn't block it based on it being commerical etc - therefore only the Curve blocks will apply. Anywhere you can use ApplePay... bingo

Particularly useful for sites where you could deposit and then promptly withdraw to bank if you were on say a 0% card. Say for example the sponsors of the Football League. Some risk - but if you found the right event & market (3-0 up, 2 minutes to go @ 1/10000 or something silly) you'd make 50p and then be free to withdraw your 5k....
  • King Zeus the credit instructor.

Ah yes. The little known successor to King Alfred the Great.
  • Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have the newer card it seems to get round more merchant blocks than previously as it's not the commerical pre-paid.

Curve do add their own blocks though as above.

They're introducing Apple Pay soon - that'll could shake things up. AFAIK any merchants accepting ApplePay wouldn't block it based on it being commerical etc - therefore only the Curve blocks will apply. Anywhere you can use ApplePay... bingo

Particularly useful for sites where you could deposit and then promptly withdraw to bank if you were on say a 0% card. Say for example the sponsors of the Football League. Some risk - but if you found the right event & market (3-0 up, 2 minutes to go @ 1/10000 or something silly) you'd make 50p and then be free to withdraw your 5k....

I've not got a Curve yet and it sounds like they might help me with my stoozing plans but....

What's the idea behind placing a bet? Why not just deposit and withdraw (assuming this is possible) and not risk losing £5000.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback