Block Paving Quotes

Comments

• Block paving is over priced i'm jumping for joy as I've just saved loads of money :j by looking at alternatives to Block Paving.

The average block paving price round here which is Petts Wood area of Kent is £65 - £75 per square meter.

I had a concrete driveway and didn't want to pay that much so I looked in to other options which included printed concrete, coloured tarmac etc but the one I eventually stumbled upon was Resin Bonded Surfacing it was a fraction of the price and it looks really smart and massive !!!

My drive is 110sq meters and the block Paving quote was £7150.00 + Disposal costs of the old concrete which they said would be around £500.

The price I paid for Resin Bonded Surface was £2915.00 and there were no disposal costs as they went over the top of the concrete. So I saved a MASSIVE £4235.00 + Disposal :j :j :j and I have a drive that doesn't look like everyone else's !!

I found the company i uesd on google not sure if your allowed to put links on here so I won't but they're easy to find. They were very polite & professional it took them 2 days to install it 1 day preparing the surface & the second laying it.

I hope this helps you all to save lots of pennies.
  • m4rky
    m4rky Posts: 181 Forumite
    Wendyw: Hi, when you had your driveway done did they put in a new base or did they just "stick" a Resin Bonded Surface to your exitsing driveway???

I have just done a search on the net and one site showed a video of the process. But they just surfaced over the top of an existing concrete driveway.
    This doesn't sound very long lasting to me and may be a false economy. If you have a driveway blocked they should dig down far enough and create a solid base for the drive.

Going to look into the Resin surfec further as it may be a good option for us also.
  • t_g_2
    t_g_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    m4rky wrote: »
    Wendyw: Hi, when you had your driveway done did they put in a new base or did they just "stick" a Resin Bonded Surface to your exitsing driveway???

I have just done a search on the net and one site showed a video of the process. But they just surfaced over the top of an existing concrete driveway.
    This doesn't sound very long lasting to me and may be a false economy. If you have a driveway blocked they should dig down far enough and create a solid base for the drive.

Going to look into the Resin surfec further as it may be a good option for us also.

bonded is when you scatter stone on resin and bound is where they are mixed in a mixer a long lasting solution and more expensive i would always do bound so it lasts crown-driveways did mine and is rock hard and are in the south of england
  • THe prices you are all quoting is that with labour and materials.. I have a Driveway which is an L shaped driveway and one guy quoted me £10K.... and its about 22 meteres squared.

Anyone got any recent exsampes of companies and prices please?
  • I recently had block paving done and went through the same variations in quotes. I had about 5 quotes.

For 60m squared it varied from £2700 (he just had a quick look and didn't even measure anything!) to £6000. All of them were quoting for Marshalls tegula.

In the end, we found someone who we saw doing another drive and asked him to do a quote.
    He quoted for his labour, skip hire and digger hire (separately - most just do a single quote which is probably rounded up to the next couple of hundred pounds). And pointed us towards a builders yard that had outside displays of all the different makes of blocks.
    We chose Pavestone (cheaper and I think looks better than Marshalls) and got a price - the builder ordered them for us.
    He also suggested re-laying the stone edging we already had (for a gravel drive), so this saved a bit more.
    All in all, it cost us £3000 (half what some were quoting) and the results are great.
  • sparky883
    sparky883 Posts: 309 Forumite
    A whacker plate is not enough to compact a driveway the wacker plate is for the sand and blocks after laying You need a vibrating roller-as for anybody who digs by hand why? It is easy to get on to approved lists-You just give them money.
    For the record A Tarmac or Block Paving Driveway will cost you £45 per square metre or more if you use a national firm.
    Tarmac used to be the cheaper option but not anymore due to the cost of oil
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • Normal block paving is around £50-£60 per metre depending on the job and where it is bearing in mind that i come from Greater London
  • Hi i am new here. Trying to find out if my parents were ripped off as i suspected. They had a canvaser call at the door and agreed to let them give them an estimate. They are in their 70's and my dad is blind and my mum has no concept about money. They were signed up for the work at a cost of over £9000 this being the cash price and as they were getting finance for it another £8500 on top for the finance. There was also a penalty for early settlement. This is for 30 square metres but i doubt it is that big. When my sister came home she phoned him and said they want to cancel as it stated you had 7 days in which to do so. He came down and said it would cost him £800 if they did that. They started the work the next day and was finnished the day after. I am not happy about this what do you think? :mad: They live in London.
  • Hi bought my natural indian stone paving for my garden from landscaping supplies direct, known as LSD Paving their prices were very reasonable and they deliver all over the uk.
  • jojones55
    jojones55 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 2:09AM
    morgandy wrote: »
    Hi i am new here. Trying to find out if my parents were ripped off as i suspected. They had a canvaser call at the door and agreed to let them give them an estimate. They are in their 70's and my dad is blind and my mum has no concept about money. They were signed up for the work at a cost of over £9000 this being the cash price and as they were getting finance for it another £8500 on top for the finance. There was also a penalty for early settlement. This is for 30 square metres but i doubt it is that big. When my sister came home she phoned him and said they want to cancel as it stated you had 7 days in which to do so. He came down and said it would cost him £800 if they did that. They started the work the next day and was finnished the day after. I am not happy about this what do you think? :mad: They live in London.

Wow that is sad to hear, I hope you sued the hell out of them. Sounds like it was over 10 times the correct price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure