What does 'cifas' do? as a financial company ?

Galeeno
Galeeno Posts: 295 Forumite
edited 1 October 2013 at 10:12PM in Credit file & ratings
The company Cifas, what does it to in conjunction to a persons credit, and credit file,

and for creditors checking how somebodies credit score is,

does it have a link with addresses? and credit scores ? and electrol roll information ?

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It is one of the two anti-fraud databases used by the financial services industry, along with National Hunter.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System.

There are different levels of warning that can be attached to your file.

Don't know what those are off the top of my head though. But i believe some are when people alter their name or date of birth to get credit.

Not sure if it also indicates if somebody has used your details or similar.

I was told i had a Cifas warning on my file back in the mid ninties and it was because the date of birth was incorrect on a finance application, at least that is what i was told by General Guarantee.
  • jeystone
    jeystone Posts: 110 Forumite
    if you have ever been a victim of fraud, they advertise you as a convicted fraudster to everyone...if your credit file is out of date, you are again guilty of fraud

...thats what they do effectively
  • jeystone
    if you have ever been a victim of fraud, they advertise you as a convicted fraudster to everyone...if your credit file is out of date, you are again guilty of fraud

...thats what they do effectively
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a cifas marker on my file for someone hacking my online banking in August and spending money on my account. How long does it stay on for?
  • jeystone
    The_Boss wrote: »
    I have a cifas marker on my file for someone hacking my online banking in August and spending money on my account. How long does it stay on for?

as long as they feel like it...you are now a criminal to the financial institution...no trial, no proof
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    jeystone wrote: »
    as long as they feel like it...you are now a criminal to the financial institution...no trial, no proof

Hmm. Not so sure about that. According to Noddle it says I was a victim of an account takeover.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    jeystone wrote: »

rubbish.

There are numerous CIFAS markers depending on the issue.

0 Protective Registration -- Recorded at the request of the person named.

1 False Identity Fraud -- Use of a false name with an address.

2 Victim of Impersonation -- Use, by another person, of this name and/or address.

3 Application Fraud (Facility Granted) -- Use of name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was granted.

4 Application Fraud (Facility Refused) -- Use of a name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was refused.

5 Conversion -- Conversion (disposal or sale) of goods (to which the hirer/buyer does not have title) under a hire purchase, conditional sale, contract hire, leasing or rental agreement.

6 First Party Fraud -- Opening an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility.

7 Aiding & Abetting -- Aiding, abetting or assisting, or conspiring with, another or others to fraudulently procure credit, or other facilities, or hire products or services.

8 Insurance Claims Fraud -- The making of a claim(s) under one or more insurance policy (ies) with one or more material falsehoods or by presenting a false or forged document.

The time it stays on depends on the above but most are a minimum of a year.
  • jeystone
    krisdorey wrote: »
    rubbish.

No not rubbish. I also have a record with national hunter because the moron at Barclays left out a digit from my address number, when typing in all the info...disputing that now, until it is cleared I committed fraud

Believe all that rubbish about "a cifa marker is to help you" if you want, anything other than a cat 0 makes you suspect, and cat 4 and above you are basically a fraudster to anyone who does a check..

What these people say and the reality of it are very different..do not trust any of them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure