Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    timemeans wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a little late to the party in reclaiming back charges. I'm no longer in financial hardship as a result of them, however I was at the time - primarily 2007-2014 - it took a long time to get out of the hole they created.

I accrued a total of £1500 during that time. Given some are over 6 years ago and the hardship no longer exists, is there any point attempting to reclaim?

No. You are not in current financial hardship.

A refund of recent charges only happens if you meet their current financial hardship criteria. Even when banks agree to refund some of the charges, often it is only upto 12 months.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • it took a long time to get out of the hole they created
    The hole they created :huh:
  • Yes that’s right - the hole in my finances that the charges created. Lesson learnt, no judgement required :)
  • First time posting so please be gentle with me!
    I need some advice re claiming historical bank charges please.
    Will try and keep it brief!
    So, we used to bank with Santander. Got into the horrible cycle of direct debits bouncing,Santander adding charges so more direct debits bounced,plus the companies who were claiming the direct debits added their charges then tried to take them again later in the month..the money wasn't there, so the bank would add more charges...which would cause us to go over our overdraft limit.....you get the picture!Hubby and I were both working at the time.Because of the escalating charges, we shut our Santander account, and opened another account, with no overdraft, with another bank.However, we still owed Santander a considerable amount of money in charges-don't know the full amount.
    Anyway,fast forward to now. I'm still working full time although I'm self-employed so my money goes up and down, but hubby can't .Due to health reasons, he had to give up work over 2 years ago. He now claims ESA and will never work again. However, we are now using a debt management company to pay off our debts (due to drop in income) and Santander is one of the debts being paid through them.
    Is this classed as current financial hardship? Do we stand any chance of getting anything back from them or is it not worth bothering?
    Thanks ;)
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Not worth bothering... you are not CURRENTLY in a cycle of charges as such there is nothing Santander would be expected to do to, if they have accepted the payment plan and have likely frozen interest and further charges then you have already had all the help they are required to give.

Even if you were still banking with them an incurring charges all they would be required to do is break the cycle of charges keep being applied - not a refund of monies.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    glel29 wrote: »
    First time posting so please be gentle with me!
    Will try and keep it brief!
    So, we used to bank with Santander. Got into the horrible cycle of direct debits bouncing,Santander adding charges so more direct debits bounced,plus the companies who were claiming the direct debits added their charges then tried to take them again later in the month..the money wasn't there, so the bank would add more charges...which would cause us to go over our overdraft limit.....you get the picture!Hubby and I were both working at the time.Because of the escalating charges, we shut our Santander account, and opened another account, with no overdraft, with another bank.However, we still owed Santander a considerable amount of money in charges-don't know the full amount.
    Anyway,fast forward to now. I'm still working full time although I'm self-employed so my money goes up and down, but hubby can't .Due to health reasons, he had to give up work over 2 years ago. He now claims ESA and will never work again. However, we are now using a debt management company to pay off our debts (due to drop in income) and Santander is one of the debts being paid through them.
    Is this classed as current financial hardship? Do we stand any chance of getting anything back from them or is it not worth bothering?
    Thanks ;)

No your historic debts are historic, not current. The time for financial hardship was when you were in this cycle. Banks also are under no obligation to refund you charges, that is just one possible option.
  • dunstonh

Simple answer. Don't bother.
    So, we used to bank with Santander.

That is your first reason why. Banks won the court case in 2009. So, you can no longer claim unfair bank charges. However, banks are required to consider CURRENT financial hardship cases. You no longer bank with Santander. So, there is no current financial hardship case to raise with them.
    However, we are now using a debt management company to pay off our debts (due to drop in income) and Santander is one of the debts being paid through them.

This is another issue. One of the options banks have open to them is not to refund any recent charges but to put you on a debt management plan. You are already on one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • . Halifax
    . Amount reclaimed £280 + £79.09 interest
    . Amount they paid £100
    . reclaimed using Martins template letter, asking for a satisfactory response or will pursue complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court. letter sent 1 Feb 2019 (just seen in my bank account £100 on 12 feb 2019.
    Haven't received their response letter in post as yet but just seen payment of £100 as RP ON MY ONLINE BANK ACCOUNT!
    . Now wondering if should write back saying not happy with this offer and hint court action route etc and ask for £200 ???
    like I saw in a previous user post(thank you)
    NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NOW? GRATEFUL FOR SOMETHING BACK OR IF IS A REASONABLE OFFER?
    THANKS MARTIN, THIS IS THE BEST SITE FOR EVERYTHING
  • Such a goodwill offer is not ever likely to be increased and can be withdrawn.

"Court Action" (real or threatened) is only ever likely to fail or cost you money. The Banks won their court case on charges fully a decade ago now.
  • dunstonh
    stuart1973 wrote: »
    . Halifax
    . Amount reclaimed £280 + £79.09 interest
    . Amount they paid £100
    . reclaimed using Martins template letter, asking for a satisfactory response or will pursue complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court. letter sent 1 Feb 2019 (just seen in my bank account £100 on 12 feb 2019.
    Haven't received their response letter in post as yet but just seen payment of £100 as RP ON MY ONLINE BANK ACCOUNT!
    . Now wondering if should write back saying not happy with this offer and hint court action route etc and ask for £200 ???
    like I saw in a previous user post(thank you)
    NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NOW? GRATEFUL FOR SOMETHING BACK OR IF IS A REASONABLE OFFER?
    THANKS MARTIN, THIS IS THE BEST SITE FOR EVERYTHING

The banks won the supreme court case in 2009 which ended all the legal actions against the banks on unfair bank charges. So, on what basis do you think you have found a new avenue that could work?

A £100 goodwill gesture is a "go away" figure. It's cheaper for them to just offer it rather than fight it. If you start fighting it, they can withdraw the offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback