Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Wasn't auto-enrolled but money has been taken

Hi everyone, I recently started a new job and wasn't auto-enrolled as I wasn't earning over the threshold - so didn't have to opt out. However I recently did some "one off" overtime which put me over the threshold and out came the money for the pension. I haven't had any correspondence from where I work regarding if i've now been auto-enrolled or why this money came out?! Do I have to fill in a "Don't want to enroll" form? even though technically i'm not enrolled as I don't earn over the threshold.

Comments

• Hi everyone, I recently started a new job and wasn't auto-enrolled as I wasn't earning over the threshold
    You were auto-enrolled, you simply didn't earn above the threshold for anything to be actually deducted. Until:
    However I recently did some "one off" overtime which put me over the threshold and out came the money for the pension.
    Do I have to fill in a "Don't want to enroll" form? even though technically i'm not enrolled as I don't earn over the threshold.

If you don't want to be auto-enrolled, then you need to fill out the paperwork.

You're technically enrolled as you haven't opted out yet. Being above/below the threshold doesn't affect enrolment, just whether you actually have anything deducted or not, as you've found out.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • cupid07
    cupid07 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Where do I get this paperwork from though? as the company I work for haven't responded to me requesting to not enroll. Can I do it through HMRC?
  • It has to be your company, since they will be the one deducting any money from your wages, not HMRC.

If you haven't so far, try - in order -
    - your HR department,
    - your finance department, then
    - your line manager

about how you should go about opting out.

If you really feel you have to that is - your company must also be contributing if you are; you'd be effectively turning down wages (albeit wages you can't get until you can access the pension.)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just to add two more things.

1. You may be able to get your money back, this depends on the pension provider. Some allow you to change your mind after you've made contribution into it within a limited amount of time (say, 30 days). You should call the pension provider to discuss this.

2. If you decide to opt out the pension auto enrolment, please remember that the opt-out doesn't work for forever.
    https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/if-you-want-to-leave-your-workplace-pension-scheme
    Rejoining the scheme automatically

Your employer will automatically re-enrol you in the scheme every 3 years (from the date you were first enrolled) if you’ve previously left the scheme. They’ll write to you when they do this.

You can leave the scheme again, but only once you’ve been re-enrolled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure