Child Support & Redundancy

My first post... sorry if its been said before, I've done a quick search couldn't find anything.

How does redundancy work as far as child support goes? My ex is likely to get redundancy soon and has informed me that it is likely he would be able to send me child support until he gets another job.
The advice i have seen is that the redundancy is there so that he can continue to pay for his normal things, i.e rent/clothing/child support/gas/electric etc. All his usual bills until he gets another job, and not use this money on an expensive holiday and decide to not give me child support.
We have a local agreed child support order (made between ourselves) - so does this just mean its tuff?
Thanks - advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    From the little i know of child maintenance it takes income as meaning taxable income. Redundancy pay tends to be non taxable and as such would assume it wouldnt go towards calculating child maintenance. I dont know the definitive answer on this though.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree, it's technically not income from a CMS point of view. So any payment would be a GOGW
  • If your ex paid through a CMS agreement - I know he isn't, but if he was then it's his taxable pay which is counted for payment to you. So his payment in lieu of notice - normally 4weeks is for your cut. The statutory min and any extras up to £30k are tax free so do not count for CMS purpose.

Sounds like you have a reasonable relationship if you have an arrangement agreed between yourselves. I'm sure he's not thrilled about his financial security and the prospect of losing his house , how is this in the best interest of your children? So why not cut him some slack, both of you tighten your belt and leave him to find a new job and leave him to pay his bills without making it worse for him. Maybe ask him for a back payment when he's in employment again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure