Loan for Student Fees

2»

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    so no income, and no job guarantee

So the question is really what are your partners options for getting a loan?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s a good idea. It seems like your not going to be working while your doing the course which will be problematic as the loan company will want the money straight away for paymanets which you won!!!8217;t be able to pay. This will result in more interest and fees plus possible ccj. Even if you qualify and get a job do you really want to start the job with that over your head.

If your going to be doing be course full time how are you going to pay your mortgage as that!!!8217;s a priority debt. You don!!!8217;t want to loose your home over this.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    and your guarantee of having the job at the end, in a very competitive field, is...?
    no job guarantee
    There is a shortage of RVNs, getting a job, once qualified, is unlikely to be a problem.
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s a good idea. It seems like your not going to be working while your doing the course which will be problematic as the loan company will want the money straight away for paymanets which you won!!!8217;t be able to pay. This will result in more interest and fees plus possible ccj. Even if you qualify and get a job do you really want to start the job with that over your head.

If your going to be doing be course full time how are you going to pay your mortgage as that!!!8217;s a priority debt. You don!!!8217;t want to loose your home over this.
    Sounds like OPs partner can cover the mortgage just fine.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:21AM
    PrimroseSJ wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I feel like my situation is quite unique (if not, I haven't been able to find any help online!)
    I'm going back to college after 12 years to retrain as a Vet nurse, but the fees are £7,500 a year and I am not eligible for any student finance (already exceeded the amount I am allowed to borrow on my previous degree course).
    I'm just wondering if there is any help out there in the form of credit cards, bank loans etc to help with paying this off monthly? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi Primrose
    I'm guessing you're doing FdSc/BSc vet nursing? Starting in September?

Although you haven't said so, reading between the lines it sounds like your partner is going to be covering your living expenses while you're studying? Will you be eligible for the maintenance element of a student loan?

Are you working at the moment?
    Are you able to start budgeting now as if you're not earning and squirrel away as much as possible between now and September?
    If you're going to apply for a loan/credit card, it'd be better to do so before leaving your current job.

How is your course structured? Depending on how your course structures the placements is it possible for you to work part-time while studying? If your course structure is such that you're on placement over the uni holidays, the maintenance loan is slightly more to account for this.

If you can't sort out your finances for this September, are you able to defer your place for a year while you save up like crazy/take a second job and save as much as possible to enable you to be better placed for your financial commitments for the following 3/4 years?

If not, could you get a student nurse position at a vet practice and do the diploma instead? That way you'll be earning while studying and (I believe) the fees are much less.

My daughter qualified as an RVN last year (with several job offers, and is already earning more than me). The whole third year of her course was spent on placement so there were no tuition fees for that year.

Good luck. It's really hard work, emotionally as well as physically, but incredibly rewarding.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • jackieblack
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you definitely checked that a career development loan isn't available?

Separate from student loans, they are administered by a bank and essentially it is a bank loan where the government pay the interest whilst you are studying.

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/loans/career-development-loan#!
  • There are definitely a few negative comments on here! My job prospects at the moment are low; it took me 3 years after university to find a job in the design field and turns out i don't like it very much!

Thank you so much to the ones who have actually helped and suggested different things!

- The career development loan is still an option but the college are not on the register so I can't get that unless they decided to be on it.
    - The future Finance company have said they don't cover courses in that university.
    - On the Student finance Wales website, even though it says that "Veterinary sciences, agricultural & related subjects" will be fully funded, Vet nursing is not included.
    - My job is finishing in August regardless so I will still need to find another job for a year to save up for the course. Bearing in mind that it took me 3 years after uni and 6 months the second time i was out of work to find a job , it's not looking good for saving up for the course!

I'm still looking at other possibilities! I have a week in work before I need to hand in my notice to start the work placement...
  • jackieblack
    Primrose, is it the degree or the diploma that you're planning on doing? (£7500 fees indicates a degree, but starting placement next week makes me wonder if it's actually the diploma?)
    Which college is it?
  • Primrose, is it the degree or the diploma that you're planning on doing? (£7500 fees indicates a degree, but starting placement next week makes me wonder if it's actually the diploma?)
    Which college is it?
    It's the foundation degree option. I have to do 4 weeks worth of work experience before starting the course.
  • jackieblack
    PrimroseSJ wrote: »
    It's the foundation degree option. I have to do 4 weeks worth of work experience before starting the course.
    Ok, yes, that makes sense - it was the word 'placement' that confused me :)

Hope you enjoy the work experience - it can be a bit 'make or break' for a lot of students

It's really hard work, and the placements can be tough, but when you qualify and get that RVN status, it'll be so worth it :)
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business