Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely day at the wedding.

I know the discussion about contentment was a few posts back but I often get this feeling. We are not well off but are comfortable, have two wonderful children and have been together for 16 years. I sometimes just get that feeling whilst we are all spending quality time together at home and also realise how fortunate I am. You have come a long way Alex in so many ways.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope today's gone really well for you and for the whole group, Alex.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks all. :) Had a lovely day today and friend is successfully wed. Somehow managed to get him to the wedding on time (Mrs. K. was very impressed I somehow managed to get there first :rotfl:), not forget the rings and deliver two speeches as he couldn't get beyond the first sentence of his. Mind, the tears started from the minute he saw her. Can remember him saying after marrying his first wife that he didn't understand why people got emotional at weddings. :rotfl:

(Finally) realised we've all moved on from the who we were at school. Friend getting married was an absolute liability until giving up cocaine, now he's one of the most reliable people I know. Someone else from school used to be extremely vain and is now rather overweight and balding very badly. After seeing him I was no longer surprised all his online photos are of his wife and two children. Another is married but his wife is undergoing IVF. She's absolutely desperate to become a mother. We all seem to have been affected by something which has changed us, I've just been too self absorbed to think it was only me.

Tomorrow we are going to declutter a bit and raise some additional funds. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad the wedding went well Alex :)

It's true what you say, you think people you haven't seen for years will all still be as they were when we ourselves have moved on. Had to laugh at the overweight balding 'vain' friend :rotfl::rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know what you mean about people moving on and things changing. We invited lots of old friends and family to a large party a few years ago and were really surprised when most rellies turned us down because they were too old to travel to a party...

And then there was a friend we had only been in scant contact with for a few years who now has a serious heart condition. It really makes us focus on our positive circumstances (despite being old and too fat, and still in debt).

A bit of comparison never hurt any of us, providing we have a sense of perspective - which you do.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without getting to philosophical on a Sunday morning, i think its all a part of appreciating our own sense of self! It'll have been happening for hundreds of years, however i do fear for our own kids having to do it through the glare of "un-social media".

Sounds like you had a great day and are motivated for your next life phase!

Now get that decluttering sorted. My advice is to declutter the storage units as well as the junk that's in them!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That same comparison can be really surprising ... I was in the mood to google the names of the people I was seeing in the photos I was scanning. Searched for one girl who grew up in the town next door to me, very well off (father was a bank manager, a big deal back then), and she married a JRR Tolkien relative. I met her at polytechnic. But at a certain point, finances etc don't mean a thing - she died at the age of 53.

I'd feel more comfortable saying "live your life" if I wasn' t stuck at home with a lurgy that finds me unable to talk ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad all went well yesterday.
    Happy decluttering!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on collecting some more wisdom yesterday, Alex! ;)

It sounds like a lovely day and well done on being such a good Best Man! :j :beer:
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a good week.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure