MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• To be eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards, you must do two things
    each calendar month:
    1 Pay in at least £800 into your nominated current account

Can you make a payment from another an external bank provided into the barclays account? I have read the following which suggests that if you have another barclays account and you transfer some money into the one linked with blue rewards that transfer of monies will not count towards the £800 nor will any money you've transferred from rewards wallet

here's the quote "When working out how much you have paid into the account, we will ignore:

Amounts received from other personal Barclays accounts in your name, including any joint accounts or savings accounts. (If money is paid in from a Barclays Business Account, this will count towards your qualifying amount)"

Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards? as i am opening account this month
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Went in branch to switch an account to my existing Barclays, straightforward enough - just over 10 minutes, with my appointment itself delayed by about 10 minutes extra waiting.

No selling, asked me about income, expenditure on various things - no ID required (mentioning that as the online literature is somewhat unclear for existing account switches).
    Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards? as i am opening account this month
    Yes.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2018 at 11:23PM
    pmatt wrote: »
    I checked Barclays website. It says two things:

First: Switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service [my emphasis]

But, in the terms and conditions it says: [You will] receive double reward for 12 months if you use the Current Account Switch Service . . . request a full switch to an eligible Barclays current account (new customers)

The terms and conditions do not specify what "everyday banking" means. There is no explicit requirement for the switched account to have any direct debits.

Yes, that bit is poorly explained. By "everyday banking" I think they mean use the account in a way that meets the Blue Reward criteria, i.e. pay in £800 a month and two active Direct Debits.

The switched account doesn't need any DDs.
    Does anyone know if the platinum credit card with Barclays blue rewards would therefore get double cashback too? £2 instead of £1 a month

Yes. All associated rewards are doubled. So the mortgage reward becomes £10, home and contents insurance gives £6, a loan gives £2, the Blue Rewards Credit Card gives £2, and the enhanced cashback is doubled to 2%.
    ronbell101 wrote: »
    applied 2nd May and received an email advising me to visit the branch to verify my id, haven't done that,got a text yesterday saying thanks for opening an account with us and received my debit card today !!

Still a good idea to pop down to the branch within the next week or two as missing KYC information *will* get flagged up at some point and become an issue.
    Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards?

Yes. Cash deposits and third party transfers from any source are all fine.

Transfers from Barclays accounts are acceptable as long as they're not your own accounts, OR the donor account is a Business account, OR it's a Standing Order from somebody else's Barclays account.
    : )
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Does anybody know if the two direct debits actually have to be taken each month in order to get the £7 per direct debit reward

I was thinking if one of my direct debits was a credit card but say one month I didn't spend anything on that card would I still get the £7 because the direct debit was Active or does money actually have to be taken each month
  • acc
    acc Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    18cc wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the two direct debits actually have to be taken each month in order to get the £7 per direct debit reward

I was thinking if one of my direct debits was a credit card but say one month I didn't spend anything on that card would I still get the £7 because the direct debit was Active or does money actually have to be taken each month
    The Barclays Blue Rewards page states that you receive £3.50 for each of the first two direct debits that are successfully paid:
    Receive a £3.50 reward for each of your first 2 Direct Debit payments, up to £7 each month. You’re eligible for this reward if the Direct Debits are successfully paid from your chosen current account.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    18cc wrote: »
    As stated above both the DDs need to paid each month.
    So, just make sure you use both cards-even if one is for a teeny amount- it would still be a DD and is very easily acheived if using the card contactless.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • 18cc
    thanks for the replies!
  • ronbell101
    ronbell101 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Trying my best to switch my account online but constantly being directed to the "apply" page
    I already have the account, I now want to "switch" a Nat West account to Barclays to get the double rewards
    Any one help ??
  • 18cc
    I'm going to apply and switch tomorrow I was going to do it today but being bank holiday Monday I wondered if there would be any glitches perhaps that is what is happening as I'm sure a lot of their systems are shut down for upgrades etc over the bank holiday
  • I applied yesterday and was accepted straight away for an account,but as I did it on my phone I didn't get a chance to record my account number and sort code.

I then went to switch and it said I had timed out !

I spoke to someone on chat who assured me I would still be eligible for double rewards as long as I switched in branch.

He made me an appointment for today despite me twice querying any branch actually being open on a bank holiday and Barclays sent me a confirmation text with the appointment time and date.

I turned up and of course the branch was closed !

Rang Barclays who apologised and rebooked the appointment for me. He couldn't however confirm if I would still be eligible for the double bonus as I was switching in branch.

I am switching a long term account from Lloyds that I've never had a problem with,so am having a few doubts I am doing the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure