Super Balance Transfers discussion area

Comments

• Hi Money Savers,

I have been a C C tart for the last 4 years & have almost exhasted all of the cards. Went from £12k in 2005 to a balance now of 4.5k :-)

The problems is, I have had a MBNA & Egg card and cancelled them both in 2006. Ive checked my credit history & its in pretty good condition, but the closed accounts still show on my record.

My lastest BT card (Abbey) runs out on 1st Sept & I applied for a Halifax BT card 3 wks ago & was unsucessful, I was wondering if its because Ive been tarting too long & they have seen a trend for 0% cards.

I would like to apply for a super BT card, but do you think they will still hold my records from 2005?

• Hi
    I'm new to all this so hello guys.
    I'd liked to clear a £2000 agreed overdraft with Natwest by using the Virign card as outlined on this site.
    My only concern is how can I work out what the monthly repayments would be on the card compared to the charges/interest I am currently paying each month to Natwest?
    Many Thanks
  • jfl981
    jfl981 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi
    I'm new to all this so hello guys.
    I'd liked to clear a £2000 agreed overdraft with Natwest by using the Virign card as outlined on this site.
    My only concern is how can I work out what the monthly repayments would be on the card compared to the charges/interest I am currently paying each month to Natwest?
    Many Thanks

You would pay 0% interest for the 16 months, therefore your payments to virgin for this period could be just their minimum allowed, which would be £25 per month. Remember this goes towards paying off the balance and is not an interest charge. Meanwhile you'll have paid off the Natwest overdraft and avoid those charges/interest.

You have to remember to pay off whatever's left of the balance on the virgin card i.e. what you've transferred minus the monthly payments you've made, before the 16 months expires or they will start charging interest. Alternatively as martin suggests you could find another 0% card to switch the debt to at that time as a last resort.
  • jfl981
    Instead of a super balance transfer (or money transfer, as Virgin calls it) with the Virgin money 0% for 16 months card, could one not use a credit-card cheque written to oneself to get the money into one's bank account?

This would save on the handling fee, as Virgin lists cheque transactions' handling fee at 2.98% like their regular balance transfers as opposed to the 4% handling charge for money transfers/super balance transfers. Both are 0% for 16 months from account opening.

Please let me know if I'm missing something!

Jeff
  • futureplanning_2
    futureplanning_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 December 2009 at 7:37PM
    sorry please ignore, have reposted on credit card forum!
  • jfl981
    Can now answer my own question from two posts above re: using credit card cheques to effectively do a SBT.

You can do this and are charged only the 2.98% fee for the cheque, not the 4% money transfer fee, so it is the better option. Furthermore you can order credit card cheques at any time as stated in the T&Cs booklet for the card.

For more details see my post on the Balance Transfers Discussion board (same date of posting as this post).

Cheers!
  • I've just applied and been accepted for the Virgin 0% for 16 months credit card, it was a very simple and quick process - all done online, so you don't need any forms to sign.

The only problem is, It doesn't tell you the offered credit limit - we only got £2500 which isn't enough for us, but it's better than nothing I guess! We are planning to do a Money Transfer to our bank account. (Any tips on how to ask for this?)

We need about £3500 for building work and we were looking at 1 year loan, but the interest rate for short term loans is ridiculous.

The £2500 credit limit will certainly help, we don't even have a date for the building work being started, so we should manage to save up £1500 before payment is due!

For those that have gone through the Money Transfer process - did you need to phone Virgin? - what do you say? Do you ask for a Money Transfer to your current account? If they ask what it's for, do I say it's to pay off an overdraft even if it isn't true, or is that fraudulent? Thanks!
  • Hey,

im looking to carry out "The Mule Card Technique" as described in the article.

Can anyone tell me if the Egg Card has the "transfer to account" funtionality? Does this allow me to transfer to any specified personal account or does it have to be an Egg account?

Thanks

S.
  • gingefam
    gingefam Posts: 48 Forumite
    I have an Egg Money card which I have been using as a Mule for a few years now. I did a SBT to Egg Money on Thurs of last week - phoned this morning to move the money over to my stooze account and have been told that the T&Cs of Egg Money have changed some 3-4 months ago prohibiting positive balances. Has anybody else come across this ?

Bit baffled now - cant see anything on the T&Cs to say that is has changed - but I am now left with 8K floating in the ether -neither Egg Money or the original CC know where it is !

If Egg Money can no longer be used for an SBT - what other Mule cards exist please ? If this is truly the case then Martins article could do with an update ;)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    gingefam wrote: »
    ...cant see anything on the T&Cs to say that is has changed
    Egg have been e-mailing new T&Cs out. They say any +ve balances 'may' be returned to the account your DD is held with...a kind of auto SBT :D
    - but I am now left with 8K floating in the ether -neither Egg Money or the original CC know where it is !
    If the card provider sent it by BACS, as opposed to FP, then it probably won't arrive until tomorrow/Wednesday...depending on what time Thursday they actioned it. Plus, I don't think the Egg balances update until after the overnight processing run.

When you say you called to process the SBT, hadn't you checked online first to see if the cash had arrived?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback