Best way to make Overpayments

2»

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    @Thrifty
    It all depends upon the interest rate of your offset. I could get better tax free returns on a mini-cash isa. I would not want to throw my isa tax allowance away by withdrawing the money. If you have funds sloshing in and out of your offset and if this is other peoples money then why not take advantage in a leagal and responsible way. Many people build up tax receipts in such accounts.
    J_B.
  • Thrifty_2
    Thrifty_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Interest rate is 5.35% on offset account and you are correct to think money goe's into account very frequently yet all bills are paid on or around the same date every month so i am thinking offsetting is probably better than a mini cash ISA?
    Cashback earned since joining MSE:-
    Greasy Palms £372.83,Topcashback £57.15, R-Points 735 points, Cashback kings £131.28,My Shopping Rewards
    £37.30, Reward Circle 540 Points, Quidco £163.31
    :TPlay To Win!
  • jonnydoe
    jonnydoe Posts: 253 Forumite
    Ok this is how I see it:

Offset savings - reduce interest you pay on mortgage by the amount of savings without affecting monthly payment. Basically a savings account paying the mortgae interest rate, 5.35% tax free or whatever..

Capital reduction - reduce interest again and reduce monthly payment (inc capital portion) (and then overpay by paying the same amount as before)

Both exactly the same with regards to time and interest saved.. although I've not seen the formulas..

So a flexible account why have one?, it seems to be a fancy way of saying have a tax free 5.35% savings account.. or in my case 5% which I could easily increase by having a separate isa..

The more savings you have offsetting the more compound interest works its magic wonders... Capital reduction seems to be better at the start of the mortgage as you get instant results, offsetting takes more time..

Example:

I made capital reductions which reduced my monthly payment from £400 mth to £345mth, I can now overpay £55 extra on top of my normal overpayment. I think it's £4 mth for every £500 overpaid..

Now I have £6k in "offset" savings earning me £25 mth interest at 5% tax free. If i make a capital reduction of 6k this reduces my monthly payments by £48 (£4 every £500 overpay). £48 > £25 BUT my monthly payment has less capital reductions.. hmm discuss!

Anyway I'm still a bit confused.. Think I'll go to bed.. :)

Cheers

JD
  • Thrifty_2
    Thrifty_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Thanks JD,

Believe it or not i am now understanding how it all works. There seems to be so much confusion surrounding Mortgages & ( pensions come to mention it ) and the banks don't exactly make it easy, one thing for sure my main priority is to get the mortgage paid of A.S.A.P sit back work less & enjoy life.

Thanks for advice to date from everyone all much appreciated, any other suggestions please post a reply.

THANKS
    Cashback earned since joining MSE:-
    Greasy Palms £372.83,Topcashback £57.15, R-Points 735 points, Cashback kings £131.28,My Shopping Rewards
    £37.30, Reward Circle 540 Points, Quidco £163.31
    :TPlay To Win!
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    @Thrifty and all
    If you want to minimise the amount of time it takes to pay off the mortgage then ask the lender not to reduce the regular payments in response to capital overpayments or mortgage reserves. This also results in less paperwork for the lender informing the borrower. It does become tedious when they do not comply or understand. Some lenders are dim in this area others are helpful.

Increased money in offset savings is as effective in reducing interest paid on mortgage capital. It is also unlikely to trigger a regular payment reduction that restores the repayment amount appropriate for the original term less the expired time.
    J_B.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Ring your mortgage provider up and ask them what the best option is. With DDs/standing orders being so easy to arrange I'm sure paying daily wouldn't take too much more organising than paying weekly or monthly...
  • Hi there, new to all this, but as we've got a hefty mortgage and are starting a business, all tips are gratefully received!

We have an offset mortgage which allows us to have a children's account linked in, so they still get tax-free interest on their money AND the balance offsets against our mortgage! Before I hear cries of 'Exploitation!'...we have an offset account for each child which we save into for their future (they know nothing about it) and they still have an account at the local building society into which they pay their pocket money if they want to - never too young to appreciate the value of money and saving. It might be worth asking your offset provider if they offer this.

Also - we rang our existing provider and asked them if they could reduce our interest rate to the current offer they were advertising. They did, we didn't have to faff about moving the mortgage and we're £200 a month better off, some of which is now going into overpayment each month!

Happy money saving and debt reducing!
  • mazz_2
    mazz_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I had my bank sort out £250 a month SO as opposed to £85 ish a month DD.
    They didnt like it and tried to tell me it was not allowed but I sat in the bank till they agreed it was ok but I wasnt allowed to tell anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am self employed too.
  • charlie007
    charlie007 Posts: 413 Forumite
    i thin that SO is the best option because you can change it sooo easily and it can be changed from daily to wekly at the touch of a button
    Mortgage free Start amount feb 2014 227000. Current amount nov 2014 217000.

Challenges 2015
    No alcohol January. No spend February
    Write down all spends over the whole year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills