IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Fine - going to court and I need help to understand it all

Options
Hi, I have received a letter: Judgement for claimant (in default)

Please can anyone advise, does this mean I have a CCJ on my credit file?

Also, once it has got to this stage am I too late to appeal?

It is totally my own fault, I ignored the last letter I got about it as in the past that what I was advised to do and it worked. I realise now that is no longer the thing to do.

I know there's lots advice to read certain threads etc, but I have tried and my lack of understanding is really distressing me, just as much as the thought of paying out £197 is. Please could any advice be as simple as possible, I find it very difficult taking in written information.

It's totally my own fault so if I have to pay I have to pay.

Thankyou in advance
Debt @ LBM £2617.72 :( Now £0 :j:j

Savings now £2280 :D:D

MAY NSD CHALLENGE 1/15

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What is the date of the 'Judgment for Claimant' letter. Does it give you a date by when the judgment must be paid?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Things_To_Do
    Options
    Hi, it's dated 31.7.18.

Just had anoter read and it says if I pay within one month I can ask the court to cancel the entry on the register.

Thankyou

MAY NSD CHALLENGE 1/15
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, it's dated 31.7.18.

Just had anoter read and it says if I pay within one month I can ask the court to cancel the entry on the register.

Thankyou

is correct , so if you do not want a CCJ and are not contesting it then pay up , IN FULL, within the month allowed and the CCJ will be struck from the register

the time to appeal this passed many , many moons ago

if you do not wish to pay in full, then its a SET ASIDE for £255 and hope you can convince one or more judges that you have a case for the defence
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 10:38PM
    Options
    if you do not wish to pay in full, then its a SET ASIDE for £255 and hope you can convince one or more judges that you have a case for the defence
    It is totally my own fault, I ignored the last letter I got about it as in the past that what I was advised to do and it worked. I realise now that is no longer the thing to do.
    Ignoring court papers is unlikely to persuade a Judge to issue a set aside order. If you've got £255 to risk in trying to avoid paying a £197 court order, then it's your money.

But it's one or the other - prevarication, missing out on the deadline, will almost certainly end with you having a credit trashing CCJ against you for 6 years. Try getting a mortgage or a loan (even a mobile phone contract) with that hanging over you and you'll realise the urgency in dealing with this expeditiously.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options

whilst ignoring private parking charges possibly worked in the past , even 10 years or 20 years ago , nobody was told to IGNORE a court claim from an official government office

NEVER ignore official court papers, no matter what the topic may be

even if you could persuade a judge to set this aside, you would still have to DEFEND (not appeal) the court claim , so if you lost that claim its likely your £255 set aside fee would not be refunded and you would still have to pay the CCJ within one month

unless you know different , it seems you should leasrn a lesson and pay in full, teaching yourself that ignoring official court papers from the government official office in Northampton is not a good idea, (could be for anything , not just parking tickets)

bear in mind that BARRY BEAVIS lost to PE 3 times , in 3 different courts , the last being 2 years ago
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I really do not think that you have any option but to pay this asap, but you can complain to your MP that a scammer took you to court and won.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Noone ever, on any forum, has EVER said to ignore a court claim form. Not anyone worth listening to and not for long before they were corrected on this

They have a judgement against you. Pay up now, and that CCJ is wiped. Has to be in full. No installments.

Treat it as a harsh lesson.
  • Things_To_Do
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies :)

I am feeling much less distressed about it all. A very valuable lesson learnt.

Not paid yet as I am not able to pay online but I shall do so tomorrow.

Thankyou again

MAY NSD CHALLENGE 1/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business