Barclays account upgrade from Basic

Options
I've had a basic account since I was BR back in Spring 2010, I tried a few times to upgrade, I think online (basically applying for a new account as you couldn't upgrade a basic account at that time) twice and another twice in branch. 2nd time in branch was just brushed me off and didn't even go though the motions. Anyway, last rejection letter provided some hope (although it may have been a generic reply), but said I had applied within the same 6 months and therefore couldn't offer me an upgrade but if I came back in a few months they might be able to.

So its now 6 months since last attemp and I would like to try again. Whats the point? Not much, but 'mentally' I kind of feel this slight stigma having a basic account, its silly and I don't really have any issues, but I still want to upgrade. So I'm looking for suggestions on how best to approach things this time around. Should I just apply online again, or should I go in branch? If I got to a branch, should I ask for a certain level of manager, i.e someone more likely to have the power to push it through? I think I saw from another thread that someone challenged the decision 3 times, so maybe thats the route? Anyone who has been BR and been upgraded before their BR fell off their CR care to share how they got upgraded?

Comments

• droiderm
    droiderm Posts: 778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am with nationwide. I had to wait until not only br dropped off but the last default drop off too. Default seems bad enough on its own !
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    droiderm wrote: »
    I am with nationwide. I had to wait until not only br dropped off but the last default drop off too. Default seems bad enough on its own !
    Its all very annoying, things are so inconsistent with BR. There are definitely stories of people getting full accounts, but then others even struggle even after the BR has fallen off the CR. I may very well be banging my head against the wall, but I'm determined to give it a bash regardless. :rotfl:
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    Options
    Getting a non basic account with just a bad credit rating is hard enough, with BR on there too it's much harder, If I were you I would apply online once more then leave it.

Applications show up on your file too, so all you're doing with a lot of applications is making it all the harder to pass the credit check.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    My two pennyworth...?

Given the most recent economic news [chances of negative interest from BoE, for example? US economy turning turtle, etc etc]...a downside of all this to we-who-economically-bump-along-the-bottom is the increase chance of banks imposing even heavier bank charges....or commencing bank charges where there were none?

Thus far, basic bank accounts don't seem able to attract charges. [Direct Debit is as much for the convenience of the payee as anybody?]

However, 'proper' bank accounts.....[whatever they are?]......with their [soon-to-be unusable?] cheque books, their insurance and gizmo offers, etc....are very much a source of [un?] reasonable bank charges...for services provided.

I cannot, for the life of me, see what advantages a full bank account offer me over those my basic account s offer?

Apart from access to some miserly ISA's, etc?

Now, where can I buy a house for 30k, all in?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be happy with my Co-op cashminder account if there were a branch in my town, it's the branch I need, not the 'better' bank account. Though if Co-op could get their website to cite up to date balances and transactions, that would really really help too.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with the basic Barclays and Nationwide accounts. Can't think of any real reason for me to want an upgrade.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    I'd be happy with my Co-op cashminder account if there were a branch in my town, it's the branch I need, not the 'better' bank account. Though if Co-op could get their website to cite up to date balances and transactions, that would really really help too.

For 'available -to-spend' balances for the above, simply attend any hole-int'-wall?

For banking inputs, use any Post Office?

As an aside, I recently received a cheque.

I paid it in via my local sub-PO....in the appropriate envelope.

It hit my account [online] precisely 48 hours later!

I was amazed, expecting at least 3 days or more before I saw it.
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • kepar
    kepar Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    PippaGirl wrote: »

I agree with AQ on this one.

Why do you need a branch, you are not going to require any credit facilities, so therefore you will only be withdrawing or depositing money.
    My local sub PO is great, money in -money out. Money in hits the account straight away, money out comes straight off the account.
    As stated above cheques go through quickly as well.
    Mu only bug bear is the daily £250 withdrawal limit, so I have to transfer to my second account and withdrawal from there as well.
    The reason being I pay cash for everything, that way I know what I have spent and how much I have left until the end of the month.
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    I have disabilities some of which fluctuate, often I cannot leave the house so getting to a hole in the wall to obtain an up to date balance is impossible at times. Also, living on benefits I live to the wire and at times (thankfully not regularly but it has happened) I have needed to get money into my account that day so a SO/DD can be honoured and have had to get into the city to put money into my account as I did not have the 48 hours plus that it takes to transfer money from PO to the bank and that ime and that of others varies and can take days anyway and is not always just 48 hours.

For me, it would be useful to have a branch near me of my bank and better online facilities than I have. Obviously people without disabilities may not appreciate that.

I rarely use cash (helped by rarely going anwhere) and £10 cashback once a month or so does me.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • droiderm
    droiderm Posts: 778 Forumite
    Options
    The benefits for me are two fold.
    It proves you can get main stream credit again.
    Secondly you get an overdraft. I never intended to use it , but there is rarely occasions it comes in handy as a small security blanket .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure