Question about TV licence

Options

Comments

• igorjenz
    igorjenz Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 9:20PM
    Options
    So for example, if I will set the timer and all channels will be playing for example with an a hour delay, it will mean that I can watch without TV licence, isn't?
    Because there is no proper explanation on their website, and giving them a call is just useless spend of time, like in the most government owned places.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How are you watching the content? How is the content broadcast in Russia?
  • igorjenz
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    How are you watching the content? How is the content broadcast in Russia?
    I watch through HD box, with IPTV service on it.
    Content is broadcasted through fee-payable service, something like Sky here in UK. So it has a lot of channels, but it doesn't broadcast freeview channels on it.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    igorjenz wrote: »
    I watch through HD box, with IPTV service on it.
    Content is broadcasted through fee-payable service, something like Sky here in UK. So it has a lot of channels, but it doesn't broadcast freeview channels on it.

According to the BBC you would need a Licence to watch.
  • igorjenz
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:25PM
    Options
    And also I can put a delay for all channels for specific time, so channels will not be live anymore.
    So the TV licence will not be needed?
  • igorjenz
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:27PM
    Options
    I understand that they want me to pay the TV licence fee, I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.
    It is same thing, if I will not have a car, but I still need to pay the Road Tax.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    I understand that they want me to pay the TV licence fee, I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.
    It is same thing, if I will not have a car, but I still will need to pay the Road Tax.

That's the way it works.

I'm no fan of the TV Licence, and believe that it should be abolished, so I'm not going to defend it any further than that.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.

Because that is the law if you watch 'live' TV. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just the way it is, currently at least. Who knows, it may change in the future.
  • igorjenz
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Because that is the law if you watch 'live' TV. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just the way it is, currently at least. Who knows, it may change in the future.
    That's why I'm asking, if I will watch the same channel but not live, but with the delay, it will mean that TV licence is not needed anymore?
    As it will be recorded show, just like on Netflix or Youtube.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How are you delaying it? If it is like pausing live TV where you are in fact recording it then you need a tv licence to watch or record live broadcasts.
    If the delay is simply a delay in starting the streamed program then that is catch up of some kind and I think you don't need a licence.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts