Company has my bank details?

If a company in the USA (Amazon) has my bank details for my bank in the UK, IBAN and BIC code, and name too, could they contact my bank to find my address?

Or does this violate data protection law?

Thank you.

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    JohnLock wrote: »
    If a company in the USA (Amazon) has my bank details for my bank in the UK, IBAN and BIC code, and name too, could they contact my bank to find my address?

Or does this violate data protection law?

Are you asking whether you are protected by GDPR if you commit some form of fraud?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    from other posts the OP is waiting for a sum of money from Amazon which is not arriving as quickly as he would like.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    And he's got £50k he wants to invest - plus he wants to impersonate his g/f so she can pay a bill.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    And he's got £50k he wants to invest - plus he wants to impersonate his g/f so she can pay a bill.

Sounds like either a wrong'un or a Walt.

Either way, the answer to his original question is actually potentially yes, because your bank is entitled to supply information to other banks about you in the event that there is any fraud or suspicion of money laundering, as per the T&Cs of pretty much every bank account going, and it is possible that this information could be passed on to Amazon also.

Let that be the end of it.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    Amazon must already know your address though if you order/sell stuff via the platform?

Yes they could obtain your address but cant see why they would want this information unless requested by you. The details they already have is all they need to transact with you, (assuming sending money)

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Amazon must already know your address though if you order/sell stuff via the platform?

Yes they could obtain your address but cant see why they would want this information unless requested by you. The details they already have is all they need to transact with you, (assuming sending money)

iirc the OP implied (in one of their many other threads) that the amazon income was affiliate earnings - i.e not sales or purchases from or by the OP, in which case the physical address may not have been given.

I'm not entirely sure this is all that it seems though - the OP is posting a wide variety of questions and threads, some repetitive, some naive and some scarcely credible (£30k of affiliate earnings from 2 months efforts for example). I'm, um, keeping a very open mind!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:10PM
    You do all realise the OP will just call everyone jobsworths like in a previous thread despite the posts being fine and tried to warn him off the idea.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,695
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Random cryptic question poster. Best ignored.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    John you going to use any of this money to pay of the debt you previously mentioned then your gf could pay you back by which means you 2 can agree on ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It may be his debt, not the girlfriend's.

Since his own money has not come through he may have wanted to borrow from the girlfriend, assuming, of course, that the girlfriend has agreed to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure