PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current property owner and first time buyer - help to buy conflict

Comments

• Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    studentguy wrote: »
    That's a good point, why isn't "he" here asking about his financial issues rather than you?

He no doubt is asking other people, colleagues, investment consultants in his target market, or if he is on other specific real estate related forums. Although, we have probably established, here is not possibly not the best place to seek investment advice - other forums with experienced investors probably are.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    You would need to ask him? Would also be interesting to have a crystal ball to know what legislations are in policy, in the next 15 or 20 or 25 years when he possibly looks at selling? Or maybe some current options -

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capital-gains-tax/capital-gains-tax-on-property-avuq96u1500f

Yes, we know that you now know it doesn't apply to your brother's house at all, but thanks to the link to the Which website in the absence of your having any clue.

This thread of yours and talking to you is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and claims victory.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Goldcrypto
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Yes, we know that you now know it doesn't apply to your brother's house at all, but thanks to the link to the Which website in the absence of your having any clue.

This thread of yours and talking to you is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and claims victory.

I know exactly what is covered. The point is there is current legislation (for now) on your main residence and how you can move this around. However, just like this thread with people like you are waffling on with unrelated points. We are now at the stage of people asking questions a few decades away :rotfl:

Funny, I feel the same way. Is like asking what the financial sum of x and y is, then you telling me cheese. More like as relevant as chalk and cheese.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I know exactly what is covered. The point is there is current legislation (for now) on your main residence and how you can move this around. However, just like this thread with people like you are waffling on with unrelated points. We are now at the stage of people asking questions a few decades away :rotfl:

Funny, I feel the same way. Is like asking what the financial sum of x and y is, then you telling me cheese. More like as relevant as chalk and cheese.

You cannot move Private Residence Relief around to suit yourself on investment properties. It's tax evasion.

"For Now" - Your way of saying "I'm wrong and I literally have no clue what I'm talking about"
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Goldcrypto
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You cannot move Private Residence Relief around to suit yourself on investment properties. It's tax evasion.

"For Now" - Your way of saying "I'm wrong and I literally have no clue what I'm talking about"

You honestly want to ask a question, that I can not answer on behalf of someone, and something that could be 3 decades away? :D

Not a current concern for me, or him, for now. You think that a property can not change from an investment one to a residential one? A property that was once an investment to be changed to your main residence as it then becomes your home? He can speak to a lawyer in a few decades from now and explore the landscape. If you send me a cheque then I'll give you the answer what they did in a few decades.

Afraid I do not have anymore time with this 'back to the future' scenario. Have other things to be productive with. Have a wonderful evening.

W Buffett
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Afraid I do not have anymore time with this 'back to the future' scenario. Have other things to be productive with. Have a wonderful evening.

and on that note we can but pray that Elvis has finally left the building!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Goldcrypto
    and on that note we can but pray that Elvis has finally left the building!

My favourite Elvis Presley quote : 'Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.'

W Buffett
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    14224733?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,915
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    OP if you're going to ask and answer your own questions, what you need us for?

You've said that you know people/fora that will give you better or more relevant advice, so what kind of answers have they been giving you?
    The last private resident of 10 Downing Street was a Mr Chicken.
  • BSW89
    BSW89 Posts: 87
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Amused and slightly bewildered by this thread.

OP, you keep referring to wanting advice from investors. This implies you want investment advice. HTB/SDLT related incentives are designed to help people whose primary reason for buying a property is to have a more permanent and secure home to live in, not people looking for an investment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure