Busy Mee's Last Leg

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The organic weetabix have a much firmer texture - it's really weird, but I completely agree with DH that going back would be impossible.

How frustrating about Sky! Will he have changed his mind by the time the 18 months is up (or is that so far away you'll be retired by then anyway)?

Put my name down on the waiting list then ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    A bit late this month with the update, but it has been ridiculously busy at work and to be honest the update is a bit pathetic. Any hoo these are the figures for July:

Savings this month £150 (better than nothing I suppose ::()
    Total Savings. £70,150
    Repayment mortgage. £65,746.36
    IO mortgage. £169,000.00
    Total mortgage. £234,746.36
    Savings offset mortgage to £164,596.36
    Saving:Mortgage. 29%

It has been a frustrating month one way or another because the whole idea of a savings holiday was to boost my emergency pot, but the emergencies this month have put paid to that.
    Still it is the start of a new month and I am really hoping to get back on track this month and want to try and have 71,500 in savings by the end of August. We will be taking a big hit in September to pay for my car......it all feels like a game of snakes and ladders at the moment. We have £6000 to pay and then will hopefully save and get us back up to £70k in savings by the end December.

I do however feel like we are making positive steps towards our retirement. I rang our mortgage provider last week to see whether I could pay the repayment part of our mortgage off, without paying the IO part off. This is because I wanted to reduce our monthly outgoings when we retire. However we cannot pay it all, otherwise the IO portion would need to be repaid at the same time. I think I will repay a good chunk of the repayment mortgage as we retire, but keep a small part of it running so that the IO part can continue until the end of the term. This of course only works if out savings interest rates beat the mortgage interest rate, which is looking more doubtful now following the rise in base rate. Otherwise we will just pay the lot off.

In other MSE news I had an early morning trip to Lidl to pick up their weekend deals - 24 bags of crisps for £1.19 (works out at <5p a bag), Asti @ £3.69 a bottle and dark chocolate @69p a bar. I might be the proud owner of 144 bags of crisps, 6 bottles of Asti and 6 bars of chocolate.
    Party at the Mee's then:D

Talking of parties we were supposed to be going out for a meal for DS birthday tomorrow which would have cost around £80. I have persuaded him that a BBQ would be nicer as the weather is so warm, which will save quite a bit of money. I have a freezer full of reduced meat which will be great. I will also get to empty my freezer a bit so win win :T
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    our local Lidl has 24 crisps for 96p, you've been robbed :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only problem with all those crisps in our house is they get eaten, by me!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    our house too :o
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I dont biy crisps often as I eat them :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    Haha Beanie, Jimmy and Moneyford. Funnily enough crisps are one thing I can leave alone. It is Mr Mee and Miss Mee who are the crisp monsters.

I on the other hand don't buy biscuits because I just eat them....a cup of tea is just too wet without a biscuit ;)

Moneyford I am gutted that the crisps were cheaper in your Lidl....I hope you stocked up :T
  • katsoocam
    katsoocam Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Love the Lidl weekend savers! Especially the non perishables. It's possible I once combined a weekend saver deal and s random ten pound note I found while tidying to buy 18 months of dishwasher tablets...but if anyone tells my hub this I will deny it strongly. The spare boxes are very well hidden !!!128514;.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    I love the Lidl weekend savers too katsoocam and stock up with anything we use. It really helps with the budget. I could do with washing tablets and teabags being on offer again soon.
    Is muesli for us next weekend.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    katsoocam wrote: »
    Love the Lidl weekend savers! Especially the non perishables. It's possible I once combined a weekend saver deal and s random ten pound note I found while tidying to buy 18 months of dishwasher tablets...but if anyone tells my hub this I will deny it strongly. The spare boxes are very well hidden !!!128514;.

:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback