IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Civil enforcement limited fine.help

I have never received a letter before that a parking company are pursuing an issue to court. I first got initial letter a month ago where it said they're taking this matter further to county court if I don't pay 320 pounds. It was due to the fact that my car was playing up literally mile away from the house and I was on the main road so pulled up in carpark as it was dangerous. Literally there for 15 mins or so. Don't even remember leaving the car. Then I left. I sent defence response to court saying I have received no other letters whatsoever regarding this i don't know what this is about and they can't just send me a letter out of nowhere regarding this with a huge amount. Saying it must be a mistake. I have now received a letter to fill out a dq and mediation options. I don't know what to do. Please help me with advise. I know this is random but I am panicking. I have read as much as I can but didn't put defense in a professional way like everyone has. Please help

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Please read the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum to properly inform yourself and edit your hijack of a discussion thread, then you will get some meaningful help.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Sydal wrote: »
    I don't know what to do.

Post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread gives good guidance on how to deal with a court claim.

Apart from everything else you need to know, there is specific guidance on how to answer all the questions on a Directions Questionnaire.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I sent defence response to court saying I have received no other letters whatsoever regarding this i don't know what this is about and they can't just send me a letter out of nowhere regarding this with a huge amount. Saying it must be a mistake.
    OK...in your Witness Statement you might be able to squeeze in a 'no keeper liability' (no idea who was driving and the claimant cannot rely on the POFA) point.

DQ stage is explained easily in the NEWBIES thread, just a form to fill in for now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sydal
    Sydal Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2018 at 7:58PM
    I have never received a letter before that a parking company are pursuing an issue to court. I first got initial letter a month ago where it said they're taking this matter further to county court if I don't pay 320 pounds. I panicked and was not aware of the procedures. The thing is I didn't realise anything about this forum and i just replied on the defence on the paper that was sent. I then researched on here and then realised how much i messed up and hwo significant that defence document was. It was due to the fact that my car was playing up literally mile away from the house and I was driving on the main so due to the noises my engine was making and smoke out of the exhaust, i pulled up into the carpark as i just happened to be driving by the entrance of the hotel. Literally was there for 15 mins or so waiting to cool the car down and calling my dad for advise. Don't even remember leaving the car then after waiting for engine to cool down i left. I sent defence response to court as below;

Firstly i have no idea what this claim form is about. I can see the date mentioned is July 2017 which is nearly one year ago. I am confused as to where this fine amount claimed of £320 has come from.The claimant is claiming £249 not for monies relating to a aprking charge. I have received nothing in the past 9 months and now I have a fine of this large amount. I am disputing this whole amount as i feel this is not fair and is causing me a great deal of stress and anxiety.

This is what i wrote on the defense as i was not aware of the procedure or process and that there are forums with people in this situation. I have not wrote a defense even close to what people have wrote. I am not sure what to do or where to go from here.

I wrote what i wrote thinking they will expand on my response and send further detials etc. i got a letter acknowledging receipt of my defense. i am on the DQ stage. Its not about following bargepoles advise as this has changed for me due to my initial interaction.

I really dont know how to take things further. i went to the hotel today and it only says whilst entering that free carpark for hotel guests. literally thats it. and small metal notices in a few places. Nothing about Civil enforcement limited or fines or anything like that. In my defense i wrote that i dont remember and that i had heard nothing from CEL prior to them raising it with the court.

ANY ADVISE WILL BE HELPFUL. I HAVE TO FILE THE DQ WITH THE COURT AND SERVE COPIES TO ALL OTHER PARTIES BY THE 4TH JUNE.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am not sure what to do or where to go from here. Is there anything i can do now as i am on the DQ stage.
    Already told you, not yet but at WS stage:
    OK...in your Witness Statement you might be able to squeeze in a 'no keeper liability' (no idea who was driving and the claimant cannot rely on the POFA) point.

DQ stage is explained easily in the NEWBIES thread, just a form to fill in for now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    Sydal wrote: »
    I don't mean to waste anyones time, i just need honest advise.
    And that is what you are getting.

Fill in the Directions Questionnaire following the guidance offered by Bargepole linked from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread.

That's it for the moment.
  • Sydal
    sorry everyone. i am new to this
  • Sydal
    so just to clarify i will get a chance to expand on everything i have already wrote is that right? it was vague in my defence and didnt cover hardly anything that other people have wrote and advised.

The main is the witness statements.? I still can add what people have put in the defence am i right.it doesnt cover that question anywher hence why i am asking.
  • KeithP
    Please read again post #6.

For clarity, here it is again:
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Already told you, not yet but at WS stage:
  • Sydal
    hello. thank you for your help. i didnt put anything in my defence compared to what i should have and in no legal terms etc. thats why i wanted to know wil i still be able to fight my case. And
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure