50 Overseas Travel Tips - official forum discussion

Options

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dunno how this antique thread has suddenly lurched back into life...?

But to play nice...

Agree that BA suddenly get cheaper if you are flexible on dates and book car rental (hire fro us Brits) with them. And you get decent, new AVIS cars not rip-off Goldcar rubbish and hassle.

If starting from the south of England, book a Brittany Ferries 'holiday' (ferry plus accommodation) which is often cheaper than ferry only; and even cheaper during their early booking '20-25% off' window in midwinter which they never publicise!

Or just go to less touristic areas of Spain- resorts in Cantabria and Asturias are massively cheaper than any other Western European destinations; meals at 11 Euros including wine are half or a quarter or a fifth of the cost of ritzier places in Italy and France...

Sorry- that's only three...?
  • WeeKristy
    Options
    I saved ££ by refusing the airport transfers when booking my Thomas Cook holiday to Salou. The charge was £81 for our family of 3 but I prebooked a return taxi for just €66.33. The driver was wziting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it. He took all our luggage and loaded it while we relaxed. We went directly to our hotel without having to to wait to go to all the other stops. On the way home it waseven better because we left 30 mins after the bus transfer people and got to the airport long before them. We got the best price from suntransfers.com but there are others available too and vsried levels of service within each site.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WeeKristy wrote: »
    I saved ££ by refusing the airport transfers when booking my Thomas Cook holiday to Salou. The charge was £81 for our family of 3 but I prebooked a return taxi for just €66.33. The driver was wziting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it. He took all our luggage and loaded it while we relaxed. We went directly to our hotel without having to to wait to go to all the other stops. On the way home it waseven better because we left 30 mins after the bus transfer people and got to the airport long before them. We got the best price from suntransfers.com but there are others available too and vsried levels of service within each site.

I've had a bad experience with booking a taxi return for airport. When we were collected from airport the taxi driver turned up late in a dirty beaten up Fiat Van/car. He apologised and said it wasn't his normal vehicle which was in for repair. A week later when we were going back to the airport, he came in same vehicle. We were told by others that it was his only vehicle and he was lying when he said his people carrier was in for repair. As we had prepaid when booking the taxi we were stuck with using it.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • John456
    Options
    Ref Tip9 about the free water, as well as taking empty water bottles through security, they also never minded empty vacuum flasks - so I'd take one (the little ones you can drink straight out of), get the biggest coffee from Costas etc (costs little more than a medium or small), fill the flask and drink the rest. Then at least I'd have a decent coffee on the flight!
  • TONYWORCS
    Options
    Navmii is free to download and use. If you download the maps for the country you are visiting it works offline. Brilliant.
  • TONYWORCS
    Options
    If you know what you are doing, and travel to one country regularly, you can buy a plug for that country in a supermarket and fit it to a UK 4 gang extension. It saves having to use an adaptor at all. Beware of the correct polarity and earth connections and do not even try it if you are unsure.
    Some of the Eurocamp chalets now have dual sockets with a UK 13 amp socket and continental on the same plate.
  • anita116
    anita116 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Taking an extension lead means you can charge more than one item at a time with only one adapter. A big plus too is that you can still have your phone (aka alarm clock etc etc) beside the bed rather than the other side of the room.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    anita116 wrote: »
    Taking an extension lead means you can charge more than one item at a time with only one adapter. A big plus too is that you can still have your phone (aka alarm clock etc etc) beside the bed rather than the other side of the room.
    As long as you don't overload it. Adapters often have a low rating eg 7.5 amps. Chargers should be fine but I wouldn't put more than one high power device through it eg hairdrier, travel kettle etc.
  • doralei
    Options
    Good way to avoid having tea made using the airplane's water supply (which some sites claim is not clean).
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    anita116 wrote: »

Customs at some transit airports will take these off of you. I had a load of gear lifted off a colleague at IIRC Dubai because they do not permit "Indian" electrics in their state. The only Indian plug was the one I had attached to a 4-way to run the stuff from. :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback