Best way to send parcels these days, please

Hi,

Am thinking of listing a few items on the next £1 max fee offer.

Have not sold anything for a few years so out of touch with things.

What is the best way to post items in the UK only, a) under £20 and b)over £20?

Does everything have to be sent tracked now?

Also is it better to list items with free p&p or state postage costs?
(Especially if I'm not sure if some items might end up over £20 etc).

I do not have a printer so am unable to print postage labels etc.

Many thanks for reading this :) Hope someone can help

Comments

• myhermes print in store

rFN5Jx2

https://ibb.co/rFN5Jx2
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    thanks @twhitehousescat, unfortunately there are no nearby stores and I do not have transport, so looks like a post office option only for me.
  • Royal Mail standard parcels of any size have a reference number which will give you delivery confirmation - it's not tracked before then but the proof of delivery is sufficient for Buyer Protection. Just make sure you ask for Proof of Postage and keep it until the time limit for disputes has passed.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Have a read of the sticky post about postage , without a printer you are probably best off sticking with RM , just be careful when copying PayPal addresses, and if you sell via GSP make sure you copy down the code number 100% accurately.

Make sure your settings are good as well, decide if you want to sell overseas using your own postage or using the global shipping programme or not at all. Block buyers with 2 or more non paying strikes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    So for items up to £20 I can just use RM Standard 1st or 2nd class parcel and get a POP to cover for UC or SNAD?
    (It will NOT cover for INR but I can claim up to £20 from RM instead).

Special Delivery WILL cover me for an INR Ebay claim as it is tracked.

Signed For is NOT guaranteed to show as being delivered. It WILL cover me for INR IF it tracked. Otherwise, I can claim up to £50 from RM instead)?

In all events I need to send it to the PayPal address, check that it says it is ELIGIBLE and is Okay To Send.

IF I get any tracking details I need to enter this in my ebay account straight away, to cover for any future disputes.

Have I got all that correct?

Also, is it best to list p&p as free or input the postage that will be used (adding a few pence for packaging)?

I will be using over the counter services at my local Post Office and sending to UK only (for the time being).

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    if you have a printer buy your postage through ebay then all the tracking is uplisted to each item
    i would add P&P as extra - for selling things second hand i see no benefits in giving free P&P
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,309
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2019 at 2:22PM
    The reference number on the POP for standard 1st/2nd class parcels will cover for INR as far as I understand, because it has online delivery confirmation. I'm not sure it shows the exact address but shows the delivery office certainly, which would match the area of the PayPal address.

Edit: also be aware that both eBay and PayPal fees are calculated including the postage.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,436
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2019 at 9:03AM
    ih8stress wrote: »
    What is the best way to post items in the UK only, a) under £20 and b)over £20?

You also have to add up all those extra £1.15 and decide if they are worth it, something selling for £25 and I would just send standard. If it goes missing and a fiver is lost as Royal Mail only cover £20 that is a shame but if only 1 in 50 go missing you'd still be £52.50 better off.

For upgrading to Signed For to get the Royal Mail cover of £50 you have decided what your personal feelings are on where you draw the line.

Missing parcels are rare and with delivery confirmation on parcels with Royal Mail (which you should add the ref number to to the order via the add tracking link or button before the first ETA) the odds of getting INR claims are relatively low.

You can buy Royal Mail labels online:

https://parcel.royalmail.com/

and easily do dummy runs to check prices based on sizes, weights and compensation limits.

Free P&P vs charging, for auctions I'd charge actual cost of the stamps but for BIN it really doesn't matter as noted above the FVF fees are now taken on the whole amount including postage.

In theory you get better search placement with free P&P but the search is so complicated these days I'm not sure it's that relevant.

One other thing to note is all BIN listings are now Good Till Cancelled but the £1 offer only lasts for 30 days meaning when the list automatically ticks over into a new 30 day cycle the £1 FVF promotion is no longer valid.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ih8stress wrote: »

I do not have a printer so am unable to print postage labels etc.
    I don't know your reasons but I'd suggest if you're selling online to get yourself a printer. You can get a decent printer with ink, brand new for under £25, especially so this week.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

One other thing to note is all BIN listings are not Good Till Cancelled but the £1 offer only lasts for 30 days meaning when the list automatically ticks over into a new 30 day cycle the £1 FVF promotion is no longer valid.

NOW good til cancelled
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family