Short UK break for a young couple that don't drive

Comments

• What about Cardiff ( if Isle of Syke proves impractical)
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Our American visitors very much enjoyed Bath, the Roman Baths experience and Sally Lunns, and Stonehenge.I know Bath is easily accessible by train, I imagine you'd have to do an organised coach
    trip to Stonehenge.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    13Kent wrote: »
    Our American visitors very much enjoyed Bath, the Roman Baths experience and Sally Lunns, and Stonehenge.I know Bath is easily accessible by train, I imagine you'd have to do an organised coach
    trip to Stonehenge.

Stonehenge is accessible by public transport from Salisbury.

The best advice for someone interested in the Stonehenge experience is actually to visit somewhere like Avebury, since the tourist development of Stonehenge (including fencing off the actual stones) has really destroyed most of the atmosphere.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about Cardiff ( if Isle of Syke proves impractical)

Cardiff is an attractive city, but totally different from Skye.

Some practical alternatives to Skye (places that are sparcely populated with dramatic scenery but not quite so far from London or an airport) include Dartmoor, easily accessible from Newton Abbot which is served by fast trains from London; the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District national park; possibly the Lake District; or she might enjoy the Gower Peninsular in South Wales, which was the first place in the UK to be designated an "area of outstanding natural beauty". Gower is reasonably close to Cardiff, served by relatively frequent buses from Swansea.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Stonehenge is accessible by public transport from Salisbury.

The best advice for someone interested in the Stonehenge experience is actually to visit somewhere like Avebury, since the tourist development of Stonehenge (including fencing off the actual stones) has really destroyed most of the atmosphere.

I suspect you haven't been to Stonehenge in a while, since it was re-done - you can actually get pretty close to the stones now (although you can't walk inside them) and there aren't any fences - you simply follow a footpath round the circle, having got a shuttle bus from the visitor centre.
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/dec/17/stonehenge-visitor-centre-opens-english-heritage

Whilst I agree that Avebury is very interesting, it doesn't have anywhere near the impact of Stonehenge as it's so vast you can't appreciate the whole circle and many of the original stones have gone and are replaced by concrete markeres (also when we went last year there's an awful lot of sheep poo to avoid!)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I thought Americans always go to London, Oxford and Stratford and then declare "I've done England."
  • Depending on funds - I've had a few oversea's friends really enjoy a set tour around scotland and skye It was a bus trip over 3 or 4 days, DIY would be cheaper however on the bus trip everything is organised and you can get to know some other travelers
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • Try Brighton & have a look at the Hotel Pelirocco. This is almost opposite the I360 attraction & about a minute from the beach.

Rather bracing in November...should get the cobwebs out.

Some very quirky rooms & always lots to do there with the Pier & the 2 sets of Lanes/North Laines. Lots of other hotels too.

Brighton Pavilion is very historic & there is usually ice skating in the winter & the Theatre Royal is lovely if there is a suitable show on.

Brighton is about 1 hour on the train & very easy to walk around most of it. Can also get a bus to the South Downs & see some countryside...

https://www.visitbrighton.com/
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • Cardiff is an attractive city, but totally different from Skye.

Some practical alternatives to Skye (places that are sparcely populated with dramatic scenery but not quite so far from London or an airport) include Dartmoor, easily accessible from Newton Abbot which is served by fast trains from London; the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District national park; possibly the Lake District; or she might enjoy the Gower Peninsular in South Wales, which was the first place in the UK to be designated an "area of outstanding natural beauty". Gower is reasonably close to Cardiff, served by relatively frequent buses from Swansea.

Yes but if they enjoy hillwalking, Brecon is only about 40 minutes away & (theoretically !) reachable by public transport
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't advise an American to go to Wales. It's very unlikely that they will be able to speak the language.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure