Biggest Threats to Cyclists?

Comments

• Lack of common sense?

There are many questionable decisions I see daily, luckily few end in tears. These are made by all road users from peds to truckers and all sizes in between.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Lack of common sense?

no such thing as common sense, as its clearly not very common at all
  • sdavies13
    sdavies13 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well cycling home tonight had three more pedestrians stepping in front of me as I rode along (ok I had predicted they were going to do so and had slowed down and unclipped ready for them, none of them looked in my direction just stepped off the pavement into traffic).

Mind did have my scariest moment tonight. Cycling through lights and the bus behind decided to overtake me. Ok, not a big issue but the problem was the road narrowed so he starts to overtake then pulls across me to get into the lane completely ignoring the fact he has just overtaken me. Slammed on my brakes pretty sharpish and just avoided going under his rear wheel (I came to an almost instant stop and the rear of the bus was barely an inch or two away from me as it went past).

Now THAT got the adrenaline flowing!!!
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    sdavies13 wrote: »
    Well cycling home tonight had three more pedestrians stepping in front of me as I rode along (ok I had predicted they were going to do so and had slowed down and unclipped ready for them, none of them looked in my direction just stepped off the pavement into traffic).

Mind did have my scariest moment tonight. Cycling through lights and the bus behind decided to overtake me. Ok, not a big issue but the problem was the road narrowed so he starts to overtake then pulls across me to get into the lane completely ignoring the fact he has just overtaken me. Slammed on my brakes pretty sharpish and just avoided going under his rear wheel (I came to an almost instant stop and the rear of the bus was barely an inch or two away from me as it went past).

Now THAT got the adrenaline flowing!!!

Scary stuff, glad you were prepared to take prompt action.

My attitude to cycling has changed over recent months, in the past I used to encourage people to take up cycling for all of the health and well being benefits. Now I no longer promote it, as I feel in many locations and situations, it's too risky an activity for many people to cope with and enjoy.

I say this, because increasingly I experience other road users carelessness, disregard for more vulnerable travellers and occasion determined mean-spiritedness.
    I'll continue to cycle myself, as it's the way I get about and I'm prepared to take calculated risks, hopefully generally stacking them in my favour. But for new to it or those returning to cycling I say treat it as a leisure activity and do in largely vehicle free places.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 5 October 2013 at 12:45AM
    Cycling through lights and the bus behind decided to overtake me...but the problem was the road narrowed so he starts to overtake then pulls across me

Sounds like you should be taking a road position such that buses (and probably other vehicles) cannot overtake you there?

That isn't to excuse bad driving, but it is inevitable so you have to deal with it.

On my cycle home, I go through this set of traffic lights. It is routine for cars to get themselves in the wrong lane and then cut across traffic, which is lethal for cyclists. The safest route to turn right is to start ahead of traffic in the right lane (in a position that they can't overtake) then as you round the corner, make sure you don't take the left lane until you have checked that a car hasn't turned right from the left lane and is undertaking you, and only then move left in the lane. Just tonight a BMW did that, undertaking at speed after turning right from the left lane.

I wouldn't say being an aggressive rider is necessary, but you do have to be assertive when necessary. Even that has its risks - I've had a guy pull his car across me forcing me to a stop and getting out of his car because I rode through 2 pinch-points in the centre of the road (as it is not possible to overtake but some drivers think it is, try to overtake after the first pinch point and then either they or I have to slam on brakes as the second pinch-point approaches). For a minority of drivers out on the roads, it truly is war :(
    My attitude to cycling has changed over recent months, in the past I used to encourage people to take up cycling for all of the health and well being benefits. Now I no longer promote it, as I feel in many locations and situations, it's too risky an activity for many people to cope with and enjoy.

I take a similar approach, I'd encourage those with confidence, but folk who may be nervous about it are probably better off avoiding it, the risks are just too great.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think that cyclists over the age of - say - fourteen should have to take a theory test on the Highway code and not be allowed on public highways unless they pass - the "license" to be displayed on whichever bike they are riding. Cyclists below this age would be permitted to ride - with care - on the pavement (obviously on the road as well if the pavement was very narrow or non-existant). Cyclists breaking the law would be fined or lose their license, just like car drivers. I feel that cyclists would thus get a lot more respect from other road users as vehicle drivers would be confident they knew the rules of the road and would behave predictably.
    Motorists lack of respect towards cyclists is simply resentment at having to slow down. Being licensed or qualified to cycle will not change this.
    If motorists had to pass an on road cycling test before being allowed to drive attitudes might change.
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    _70228584_de54.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-24401099

And as a cyclist myself I shout loudly (EXCUSE ME PLEASE) if they don't appear to have heard my bell warning them of my approach.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Motorists lack of respect towards cyclists is simply resentment at having to slow down. Being licensed or qualified to cycle will not change this.
    If motorists had to pass an on road cycling test before being allowed to drive attitudes might change.

Agreed. Licences are generally required for things that can cause great harm to others (cars, lorries, guns, explosives, etc). How would bicycles fit in that list?

I'm not against cycle training - it should be compulsory for kids to learn in school, and again as part of driver training.

What is certainly required is stronger sentencing for drivers that kill cyclists. A £300 fine and 180 hours community service for taking someone's life is unacceptable, and wouldn't happen in any other situation. The excuse of "I didn't see them" should only ever be answered with "why not?" If the driver cannot see properly whether it is safe to move a tonne of steel around, and subsequently kill or injure someone they are at fault. This should be the first thing taught when people learn to drive.
    It's only numbers.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I cycle to work everyday, it can be an utter nightmare, the biggest problem I have found here is over taking, so a motorist will over take me, however they will pull back in so quickly that sometimes they are just a couple of feet in front of me, or sometimes I have to throw myself onto the pavement as they are going to hit me. I don't get it, I drive a car, I'm well aware that cyclists are in fact moving, just as I'm aware that cars I am over taking are moving, it really isn't difficult.

I have been knocked off my bike quite a few times, most of time it has been when traffic has been stopping or slowing down significantly and the vehicle behind me has hit me because they hadn't stopped in time.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    I am not a cyclist but a motorist and must confess that I am a nervous wreck in the vicinity of cyclists :)
    Just thought I would share a quick story of someone I know. A professional with his own business, an active cyclist, all the right gear, been cycling for years for pleasure etc. Over a year ago had an accident, was in hospital for months and months, rehab etc. Is now unable to work at all.

When I first heard about the accident (couple of weeks after it happened) my assumption was he had been hit by a lorry or car, how wrong I was, it was another cyclist!! It just goes to show. His life as he knew it has ended by doing something he found pleasurable.
    So whether you are a pedestrian, cyclist or motorist be aware of everything around you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure