Bannatynes Membership

Hi all.. Asking for a friend.

She took out a membership with Bannatynes Gym. She doesn't like it and gets nothing out of it. She has now found a new far better gym and went to cancel with Bannatynes and they are saying she is contracted for 12 months and the most they can do is temporarily halt her account for a couple of months for £10 per month.

Question is, is there legally anything the gym can do to force her to stay? She cannot afford both memberships. Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Presumably your friend signed up to the 12 month plan rather than the monthly one (which is more expensive but can be cancelled sooner). If that is correct then I believe the T&Cs do say that it is a 12 month contract and cannot be cancelled before the 12 months is up.

What doesn't she like about it? I have been to a few Bannatynes gyms and they have always been pretty good with friendly/helpful staff and decent equipment.
  • She will have signed up for a minimum 12 months, I think thats still the norm for Bannatynes.

Her options are

1) Pay for both
    2) Use Bannatynes and join the other gym after the 12 months is up and she has given notice to leave.
    3) Join the new gym, cancel her direct debit with Bannatynes and hope they dont chase her for the monies owed.

Knowing a bit about big chain gyms I strongly advise against option 3.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Aston83 wrote: »
    Hi all.. Asking for a friend.

She took out a membership with Bannatynes Gym. She doesn't like it and gets nothing out of it. She has now found a new far better gym and went to cancel with Bannatynes and they are saying she is contracted for 12 months and the most they can do is temporarily halt her account for a couple of months for £10 per month.

Question is, is there legally anything the gym can do to force her to stay? She cannot afford both memberships. Anyone have any experience?

Your friend should review the terms and conditions of the contract she signed. Yes, action can be taken - eg. debt collectors - if your friend defaults.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ntipp
    ntipp Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes if you're contracted to somewhere who is a large chain, they always stick to the contract. If it was a smaller company gym then they're more likely to let you off. Annoying, but these large companies can do this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure