'I saved £75 on next year's holiday... by cancelling it and booking it again' - MSE News

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
A dad saved £75 on next year's summer holiday by cancelling and rebooking the exact same trip, after he saw the price of it had dropped...
Read the full story:
'I saved £75 on next year's holiday... by cancelling it and booking it again'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• I saved over £600 doing same thing 2 years ago when we went to NY. Booked with virgin early as we needed exact dates, when I checked in January sales holiday was £’s cheaper.
    I booked an upgraded hotel room in same hotel, slightly better flight time and even losing £700 initial deposit it was still £600 cheaper! Even lady at virgin said it was silly that they couldn’t match it... and told me always to check their January sales as this was when they put out best holiday deals.
    I even got phone call a couple of days later saying they’d made a mistake on the invoice.... and V room wasn’t available at Heathrow (which I knew and ignored as thought they’d made a mistake) but they’d booked us into lounge at Heathrow and not to worry (at no extra cost)! So in end upgraded hotel room and lounge entry and £600 spending money result ��
  • I saved £75 with AlFresco. They had an offer where they doubled the loyalty discount if you have stayed with them before. I had booked the week previously so contacted them to ask about it and although they couldn't give me the full £100 difference because this new offer couldn't be used in conjunction with their £25 welcome home offer they knocked £75 off my booking.
    They were fantastic to deal with and I had no need to cancel and rebook. It's always worth ringing a company up first to see if they will match prices before cancelling as there's nothing to lose by trying.
  • Seagles
    Seagles Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I booked a week in a hotel for November back in March with free cancellation until 20th November. Last weekend was looking for another holiday hotel and noticed that the price of this one was lower. Saved over £100 and during booking of this one the site automatically gave the option to cancel previous, so simple to do. This booking has no free cancellation, fair enough only a month away. Well done booking.com
  • I did this earlier in the year with a Thomas Cook holiday. Ended up losing £400 as obviously only the value of the re-booked holiday was ATOL protected!
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I always keep an eye on hotel prices if I have booked cancel-able ones
    I have saved money twice this years by doing this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts