We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mrs Un got our first year teasels planted out. I had to go back to bed...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • This morning tidying in the garden and picked 4 zucchini, and no they hadn't developed into marrows! The plant had a full flower on it with another on its way, so it's been saved from the compost heap for a little while. Quick early stir fry for lunch including said zucchino and chilli before a quick cuppa, browse and out there again.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Not sure what to do with the strawberry runners. First year plant, should I just chop them off and chuck or chop them off and plant up? Don't really have the room to plant them up whilst still attached to the main plant

Probably a bit late with this but why not leave them on and plant them up into little pots until they take?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mrs Un got our first year teasels planted out. I had to go back to bed...

Teasels! - you actually grow teasels? I love them especially sprayed gold or silver at Christmas but they grow like weeds here. Hope you are feeling a bit more energetic soon.

I keep looking at the soggy plot, I've decided as soon as I see a bit of sun to start covering the beds with muck, on top of which I'll put a layer of paper feed bags and then that black membrane which lets the water through. 24 raised beds to do so I reckon on doing 2-3 a week. Hopefully I'll have finished before the end of the year - I've another op in Jan so I need to keep to the plan.
  • unrecordings
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Teasels! - you actually grow teasels? I love them especially sprayed gold or silver at Christmas but they grow like weeds here. Hope you are feeling a bit more energetic soon.

Thanks, just fatigue, it's ebbing away day by day though, at the moment an hour in the garden costs me approximately a day in the comfy chair.

As for the teasels, we had some pop up a couple of years ago, but they never came back, so with our plan of making the garden more flower/less brassica/more potager, we thought we'd sow teasels where the main crop of beans should have gone this year

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just got back from presentation night, and our allotment has been judged the overall best in the council area, approx 430 allotments!. The man who has won it 10 out the last 11 years was very gracious, and congratulated me very pleasantly. Nice shiny cup to fit on the mantlepiece now for a year
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • unrecordings
    Mnd wrote: »
    Just got back from presentation night, and our allotment has been judged the overall best in the council area, approx 430 allotments!. The man who has won it 10 out the last 11 years was very gracious, and congratulated me very pleasantly. Nice shiny cup to fit on the mantlepiece now for a year

well done !

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    Ooh yes, really well done Mnd! what an achievement!

Sorry to hear about your fatigue levels un - can't offer anything but sympathy as you are a bit of a phenomenon but I hope you can keep going
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    Sorry to hear about your fatigue levels un - can't offer anything but sympathy as you are a bit of a phenomenon but I hope you can keep going

Thanks - had the physio round this morning, and while I'm still tired we could see some other improvements. Then spent half an hour in the garden picking stuff for tea (carrots, kale, broccoli leaves, couple of beetroot and something that's either a small turnip or a large radish)

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    Having picked my main-crop of butternut squash a few weeks ago (safely stored in my larder) I am amazed that a second crop has formed. I was able to pick about 7 or 8 that were tennis-ball sized or larger this week (the smallest few went into my courgette soup and yes, they are still producing at least a weekly crop of 5-6 the length of my specs case or bigger).

As for runner beans, they are still outpacing our ability to consume them and I keep giving a load away. They are slowing down but still going. I was going to tidy those beds but I will wait for the first frosts and keep picking.

Lots of leeks now to enhance life
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport