pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
First Post
edited 28 October 2019 at 11:31AM in Over 50s MoneySaving
deleted. tmi

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Money is there to make your life comfortable and it appears that you have all the comforts you aspire to so why the need to spend?

Like you Im never one to spend for the sake of spending, saving is ingrained in me, not that I have a lot to spend anyway :)

Mum is in the same boat as yourself. She can no longer fly and as she is getting older and frailer, her social circle is getting less so she doesn't have much to spend her money on now at all. Not even her regular new car as driving is limited now to a trip into town once a week. I keep telling her to book a cruise or three, go spend her money before she cant, but she won't

Still, if she ever needs to go into care, she is going to be able to afford to pick the best :)

Do you have any hobbies? Or thought about taking some new ones up?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It sounds a bit daft to just want to spend your money 'because you have it'.

It sounds like you're well set up financially.

As Suki suggests, I'd look into any hobbies that might interest you.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you like the theatre? Is there one near you? They have all sorts from plays, to stand up comedy to music gigs. Something for everyone.

Or maybe sport? VIP tickets to Wimbledon next year?

Or Spa breaks...just to chill out and be pampered?

What sort of things ARE you into?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 October 2019 at 9:26AM
    Perhaps when you do the things you normally do you could "upgrade", ie travel first class if you go anywhere by train, get the "best" seats if you go to the theatre or cinema, if you eat out at all, order what you actually want from a menu (rather than what common sense tells you should have), get the extra treatments when you go to the hairdresser.

Have you ever fancied learning a musical instrument. Most music lessons are expensive, so that would get rid of some money if you find you are enjoying the lessons and want to continue. Of course you would also have to purchase said musical instrument.

You say you don't like cruises, or being confined (I understand that, as neither does my husband so no more cruises for us) but there are all sorts of ways to get out and about. I imagine that a train journey would also be unsuitable (thinking Rockies, Trans Siberian Express although you would need to fly to join those).

My dad found cruises to be an excellent way to "get rid" of money whilst having to do nothing at all other than enjoy himself. Before my mum passed away, they had been on a few cruises (and many, many holidays), si after she died he decided to cruise, on his own, to the Caribbean with Saga (smaller ships in their fleet) and over 7 years he spent 325 nights away from home, travelled 101,769 statute miles and visited, 63 countries (albeit each very briefly). All this between the age of 87 and 94!!!!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2019 at 8:09PM
    We don't like cruises, after having done one. However, coach tours will take you to out of the way interesting places. We did the Balkans last year and Scandinavia this year.

There are usually single people on tours, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have actually found it quite hard to change my mindset from accumulating to spending. I suspect I am not the only one either.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    I have actually found it quite hard to change my mindset from accumulating to spending. I suspect I am not the only one either.

I know what you mean. We're in the early stages of early retirement, so still balancing having enough to last and spending.

I'm sure as we settle into it, and we see how our investments are doing we'll start to loosen the purse strings...but it's just not in our nature to be spenders (hence early retirement!!)

We see so much of spending...just because you can...as wasteful, rather than mindful.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It’s a shame if you don’t like travelling much, because that can get rid of a shed load of money. It helps if you have a son and grandchildren living in Australia, and you travel every year to see them in Business Class (tee hee!) Mind you, new cars can also seriously dent your bank balance, so it’s horses for courses really.
  • pattypan4
    First Post
    edited 28 October 2019 at 11:31AM
    deleted. tmi
  • pattypan4
    First Post
    My dad found cruises to be an excellent way to "get rid" of money whilst having to do nothing at all other than enjoy himself. Before my mum passed away, they had been on a few cruises (and many, many holidays), si after she died he decided to cruise, on his own, to the Caribbean with Saga (smaller ships in their fleet) and over 7 years he spent 325 nights away from home, travelled 101,769 statute miles and visited, 63 countries (albeit each very briefly). All this between the age of 87 and 94!!!!

What your dad did, very inspirational. Might actually do that one day, I know they have a gym on board and deck walking and the ice cream was nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure