Biggest Threats to Cyclists?

Comments

• armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ^ I hope I could stop at that speed. I checked today, 18 mph is normal for me on that road. 99% of my rides will be at probable 8-10 mph. I was doing 25mph because I was aware of the car behind and was trying to avoid slowing them. I know if I had braked the car would not have any time to react.
    I had a similar problem this weekend. Another daft woman trying to overtake and undertake. Six feet behind me at 25-30 mph for 1/4 mile. This time it was just a distraction as I had 8 feet of car behind me. Some drivers have little interest in driving safely.

Ever get the feeling you're a distraction to some, like a fly to be swatted out of the way ?
  • dawny10
    dawny10 Posts: 244 Forumite
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    This.

The amount of times I have been abused by drivers for taking primary because they simply don't understand why i'm doing it is shocking.

Absolutely. There are obviously the drivers that don't/wont care and always be dangerous but I think the majority just dont understand becuase they don't cycle and no-one has told them. Same for trying to overtake by squeezing past cyclists on the same side of the road - most of the people doing it dont understand how dangerous and scary it is for the cyclist. A lot of it is ignorance rather than malice.

Regarding biggest dangers I am scared witless by HGVs - I'm prepared to take my chances with cars around town at 30mph or less but a moments inattention by a lorry driver and its game over for me. I've twice had to dive out of the way to avoid going under the wheels of large vehicles and it makes me feel sick even thinking about it.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    Lorries are without a doubt the single biggest risk to any cyclist.

Last year 106 cyclists died in Britain as a result of an accident involving a vehicle, a record high, and 25 of those deaths were caused by HGV's.

So they were responsible for roughly a quarter of all cyclist deaths despite HGV's only making up 4% of the traffic on the roads.

I agree that HGV's are a threat to cyclists but not because of the way lorry drivers drive, more the fact that lorries have huge blind spots and cyclists insist on riding down the inside of lorries whilst at lights. Lorry pulls away, turns left and takes out the cyclist.

I think alot of cyclists are there own worst enemy. For the record I am both a cyclist and a car driver, I also have a class 2 HGV licence but am not using it for a living anymore
  • The HGV thing is difficult. Yes, some cyclists ride up the inside and put themselves in danger. However, many of the cyclists killed by left-turning lorries (in London, at least) have not. Drivers wildly underestimate the speed of cyclists and the time it takes to overtake safely. They underestimate how quickly they can make a left hand turn. If large vehicles do not indicate it is impossible to know they are wanting to turn, and when they swing to the right before moving left it opens up a wide, apparently safe gap for unwitting cyclists to get caught in. Education (of everyone) is definitely the key, along with infrastructure improvements to provide integrated segregation for those who want to use it.

As for the vehicle that scares me the most - skip lorries.
    It's only numbers.
  • Very interesting debate here.

I am not a cyclist in a long while but want to get back into it at some point. From a drivers POV ignorant and inattentive cyclists are a concern (as are drivers of the same ilk). I have had cyclists ride right onto a roundabout without checking if anything was coming. I honked my horn and he seemed surprised to see me!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    From a drivers POV ignorant and inattentive cyclists are a concern (as are drivers of the same ilk). I have had cyclists ride right onto a roundabout without checking if anything was coming.

Cyclists will often take motorists by surprise at junctions because they can often negotiate give ways at a faster pace than motorists. That doesn't mean that the motorist has taken the cyclist by surprise.
    I honked my horn and he seemed surprised to see me!
    He may just have been irritated by your use of the horn as an unnecessary admonishment.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Yes, some cyclists ride up the inside and put themselves in danger. However, many of the cyclists killed by left-turning lorries (in London, at least) have not. Drivers wildly underestimate the speed of cyclists and the time it takes to overtake safely. They underestimate how quickly they can make a left hand turn. If large vehicles do not indicate it is impossible to know they are wanting to turn, and when they swing to the right before moving left it opens up a wide, apparently safe gap for unwitting cyclists to get caught in.

Agreed - there was an incident near me a couple of months ago where it seems an HGV made a left turn from the right hand lane, across the path of a cyclist in the bus lane to his left. It remains to be seen whether the driver indicated, but in this case neither party was really 'in the wrong' as such - the driver couldn't have been in the bus lane, and the cyclist couldn't have known that the driver was going to turn. Good Dutch-style bike paths and restricting HGV movements at the busiest times are really the only way around this issue - training and awareness campaigns aren't enough.
    As for the vehicle that scares me the most - skip lorries.

Hell yes. Any vehicle that's paid by load is likely to be driven dangerously. Also rental vans, where the driver may not be used to driving a van, foreign reg coaches, and tour buses. Just stay the hell away at all times!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • dawny10
    dawny10 Posts: 244 Forumite
    liz545 wrote: »

Hell yes. Any vehicle that's paid by load is likely to be driven dangerously. Also rental vans, where the driver may not be used to driving a van, foreign reg coaches, and tour buses. Just stay the hell away at all times!

And anything towing. People seem to forget they've got something on the back, overtake (giving plenty of space) then pull back in once the car or cab has cleared the bike, but not the trailer. So you have the trailer coming closer and closer as the back wheels 'straight line' to the front. Last thing that did this to me was an oil tanker - I was literally just about to throw myself onto the pavement as the end of the trailer passed me - must have been mere inches from me by then. Not nice.
  • suered
    suered Posts: 333 Forumite
    I was clipped by a bus once - but luckily bounced off the pavement. Not so lucky when a pedestrian blithely walked off the pavement into me - 5 days in hospital with a plate and assorted screws inserted into my leg and the promise of guaranteed arthritis in the not too distant future - I'm already 100% on the rain forecasting!
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - Erasmus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure