PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Mrs L W I wasn't suggesting that your sensible stance, and anyone else's, will create lack of resources in food banks in the future. I am doing precisely as you are and my dehydrator has been going every day for a couple of months so I won't have to go without in the spring. What I mean is that the food banks and the charities involved should be wherever possible keeping back some stocks in case of deliveries being unavailable for whatever reason. It's easy enough for people to donate a couple of tins weekly when doing their normal shop at the present time. But who would be willing to give their carefully saved provisions if you felt you were under some sort of siege. Naturally you would share with your nearest and dearest, but total strangers you maybe felt has mismanaged their lot?

On a cheerier note I wonder how many of our children will be clearing out our homes in decades to come, only to find cases of plum tomatoes, baked beans, etc. in the loft instead of heirlooms?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    The food banks aren't a given and that is just the way of life. My mortgaged house isn't a given, my meds aren't a given, heating my home isn't a given etc etc.

Food banks also receive donations and I'm sure that anyone involved in food banks will be thinking along the lines of the preppers amongst us and preparing as much as they can. After all, they are the ultimate prepper really.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I don't think for a minute that people using food banks have mismanaged anything. I just look after my own and the rest of the country will have to do the same. You just can't afford philanthropy in hard times unfortunately, you tend to end up in the drink along with the people you're trying to pull out.
  • Primrose wrote: »
    And don't forget the Parmesan cheese !
    Would this freeze successfully wrapped in aluminium foil if there is no spare room in the fridge ?

You can freeze any hard or medium cheese without impacting flavour, but sometimes they get a little dry/crumbly due to the loss of moisture.

If you're on facebook there is a group called '48% Preppers' who discuss what/how to save and there have been lots of discussions on cheese there, along with lots of other food posts.

A tip some on there had was to grate cheeses before freezing or to cut into smaller blocks and then freeze separately so you can take out smaller amounts later as needed.

Highly recommend that group it's a 'closed' group so you have to request to join but it's a positive group, full of practical tips, ideas and discussions. Specifically their focus is 'preparation' rather than 'politics' and political posts are banned.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On a cheerier note I wonder how many of our children will be clearing out our homes in decades to come, only to find cases of plum tomatoes, baked beans, etc. in the loft instead of heirlooms?

I remember in the 70s an old lady down the street passed away and her children were sorting out the house. In the cellar they found over 70 bags of sugar (this was a year or so after the sugar shortage) but unfortunately they were absolutely rock hard as the cellar had been damp. Apparently she had bought as many as she could each time she went shopping "just in case". I don't think I would have wanted to use the sugar but they could have been useful to throw at marauders and would have done some damage.

I have just received my winter stock-up delivery from the supermarket. Not specifically Brexit as I do it every year in case of icy weather as I'm not always very steady on my feet even in good weather, but it is probably a little more than normal. I have been having a good clear out of other "stuff" from my little bungalow so most of the tins will go in a plastic crate under the bed. The rest will just be distributed around the kitchen cupboards, and the bottom of the wardrobe. My kids call it "Mum's apocalypse cupboard" but it's something I have always done.

Someone mentioned freezing parmesan cheese. This is also something I have always done as I tend to buy it when it is on offer, grate it, and freeze it in small food bags or plastic boxes. I know we are all trying to move away from plastics but I do have a lot of boxes (and bags) and at least they are re-used over and over.
  • I've just put two jars of marmalade and some plain and self raising flour into my store, had a trip to Aldi and things there are so much cheaper than other supermarkets I got double there for the same price one of each would have cost anywhere else.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    [QUOTE=Living proof;75107503

On a cheerier note I wonder how many of our children will be clearing out our homes in decades to come, only to find cases of plum tomatoes, baked beans, etc. in the loft instead of heirlooms?[/QUOTE]

This made me smile because truth is stranger than fiction . My parents, when clearing out my late grandmother's house found almost 100 tins of Bachelors tinned peas in her loft dating back almost to the Sexond World War, but no other commodities. Now that really would have meant a pretty boring diet in a food shortage!
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I thought i had a 30 day supply of tinned beans, someone eat them all with out replacing them :wall:
  • markin wrote: »
    I thought i had a 30 day supply of tinned beans, someone eat them all with out replacing them :wall:

In that case they have probably been through your secret stash of loo rolls!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • I've got a big plastic box in my dining room which I have been slowly filling with "cupboard essentials" I have done this with discount vouchers I was getting for deliveries and some recent lidl vouchers in the paper. I started it after this thread was started. I provably wouldn't have given it a second thought if not. It has also been good for us as a family as my maternity pay has now stopped and I am on zero pay until March so it was good to stock up while I had the income and if I find now that I am struggling at least I have that to fall back on. It has definitely got me thinking about prepping in general so that has been a define positive from this thread so thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback