PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've just noticed your post Ivyleaf . I used to hate phoning hospitals etc . No phobia I just hated the long drawn out process . Now I say to myself just do it and it's done . If they've encountered calm , polite but determined me in recent years it's done and dusted in no time .
    Patience and being firm is a handy tool to have .

Nice to see you nannywindow It's pretty good when your MIL could chat happily about her trip and the pilot and nobody burst her happy bubble .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    NM I suggest you write:

Date - 12th of Never
    Start Time - 6pm
    End Time - 4am
    Noise Type - constant bumping/shouting

Date - 13th of Never
    (as above ad infinitum)

Also ask DS to download a decibel meter onto his tablet to get an idea of the noise levels. Keep your diary for 2 weeks then send a copy to them and also to your councillor and MP.

I am sure you will tell me that nobody takes any notice but if your MP contacts the council, it has an obligation to respond.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Creeps back in and stands at the back.
    My very efficient charger disintegrated when I pulled it out. I was devasted. It was the one DS2 gave me when my other two stopped working. I dare not tell him, I can just hear the incredulous, "Oh! Mum!"
    Anyway, I now have a new one which has been doing its stuff for a couple of hours and we are good to go.

I can't tell you how much I have missed you all. I felt as though part of me was missing. I will now have to do a bit of reading and catch up on all the news. See you later.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    We missed you too monna xx
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    monnagran wrote: »
    Creeps back in and stands at the back

It's always the minxes that try to stand at the back, come on young lady, front and centre :D. Lovely to have you back x

NM when are you likely to hear about the flat? I have got everything crossed for you, cannot imagine having to live with that noise :mad:

Silver oldie ((Hugs)) our ears are here to be bent, our shoulders to be lent on x

Softstuff you have been busy, I hope you can sleep a bit easier knowing you have set things on track to support your mum x

Hugs to the rest of you having issues, and my poor brain is fried, been up since before 4 (never sleep the night before work) and my body is telling me to go to bed, but if I do, I won't sleep tonight either
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Polly. The only time late MiL got upset, was when her youngest son died suddenly at age 33. She couldn't take it in and kept asking everyone where he was, almost every week. We soon learnt to say that he was doing "so and so" because she would go into grief mode over and over again. It was heart breaking.
    Mar I'm glad the RV has picked up.
    Monna I missed your posts too.
    Karcher if you're reading, I hope you are OK.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Thank you, dear polly. I'm so glad you did keep posting :A I just ended up almost in tears with frustration last time I tried to ring the eye clinic, because I had a list of possible extensions for various things to do with eye appointments but none of the options on the list fitted the bill!
    In the end, at the suggestion of a friend, I rang one of the ophthalmologist's secretaries at random and she was able to help, though even she needed to put me on hold while she spoke to someone else, and then I got cut off! Thankfully I knew her extension so was able to get back to her. But several weeks later I still haven't heard anything, so I do need to warn them I'm going away.

ETA MONNA! YAY!!!!
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Popping out of lurkdom to say.. Nursemaggie I have a cordless Dyson, the cheapest one. It's fabulous and I can do the whole house (2 bedrooms) on 1 charge with no problems. I am 74 yo and wil never go back to a heavy machine again.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Islandmaid if moving here is anything to go by it was weeks and weeks before they let us look, they then said come to the office at 2 pm tomorrow, When I had singed everything and paid the first weeks rent. He said you can move in now. Of course we weren't ready.

DS is waiting too, private rentals are very variable, they can be only a couple of weeks or they can take months. At least he has seen his. I have seen the back of the building hundreds of times, and the front entrance on street view. If I get this one DS will only be next door, the next building I mean.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you

As some of you already know DH has dementia. He went to cognitive therapy and had 6 monthly assessments. Last time we went he was discharged, they say I am to monitor him and let them know of any significant changes.

Last week I had a phone call from my Mother's care home to say the Dr had been called and she had been taken to hospital as her blood pressure, heart rate every thing had dropped too low. We went to the hospital and after several hours with her and a night with no sleep, she is ok and back at the care home. I just realised I had no one to call, no one to tell.

I feel so alone.

Oh silver-oldie, I'm so sorry you feel alone, it's a scary place to be.
    I mirror everything that others have suggested, it is imperative that you reach out to your GP or social services to get access to the services you are entitled to.
    I regularly welcome respite visitors to where I work, sometimes so they can simply have a bath (with assistance) or sometimes it's so they can stay a few days, to give their carer a rest! (We offer support to carer too if needed)
    This thread has been a life line for me on occasions over the years (even if the wonderful peeps here are unaware) so please use us as a sounding board or simply pop in just to read along and have a laugh.. You will always receive a warm welcome ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills