PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My chin is bare, but I'm working on the mustache. Thinking of waxing it.... not hair removal wax, but the kind they use to twiddle it into a funky shape :p It's not a mature lady problem Milasavesmoney, I'm far too immature for that :D I wish the grey hair onmy head was wiry, but as it stands it's as fine and wispy as the rest.

Fingers crossed he stops jackhammering before he's into the neighbors Milasavesmoney!

Silvasava, if I'd had a cup of tea, my tablet would have been toast.

Our bathroom and rest of house is apparently getting started in 2 weeks. Our current shower has begun to leak more, the microwave has made funny noises so that isn't well and it's not even 9am, but I feel like I've done a days work!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,108 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've just finished talking to colleagues and clients in your part of the world Softstuff, and am about to go to bed. 17.5 hours is long enough for one working day. I'm not good at sleeping anyway...
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    :rotfl: I hope the plumber stops jack hammering soon too! Leaky old pipes!! As for my neighbor, she called me several months ago to see what I was going to do about my cinder block fence. My cottonwood tree roots have pushed it up and it could collapse at some point. Her backyard fence is butting up to mine on two sides and she uses my fence as the back wall. She is afraid her dog will get out if the fence goes. We had an estimate and were quoted $14,000 which did not include tree root removal. I just simply cannot afford that. The fence is on the side of my driveway and I could care less as to whether it is there or not. I'm not sure how to approach this problem. We are getting more estimates but even if we can get it down by thousands of dollars, I still don't want to do it and can't afford it. My OH completely disagrees. I don't know where he thinks the money is coming from.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Softstuff
    greenbee wrote: »
    I've just finished talking to colleagues and clients in your part of the world Softstuff, and am about to go to bed. 17.5 hours is long enough for one working day. I'm not good at sleeping anyway...

I suspect they might have been in Victoria and up earlier than us Queenslanders. Strange having timezones in a single country.

Mila, how long is the fence? That seems extortionate. I'd be inclined to remove the cinder blocks before it collapsed and worry about the replacement after. Tell your neighbor you haven't got the money to replace right now. Then if she wants a dog fence, she can get one. You're obliged to make sure that the fence is safe, but I don't think you're obliged to make sure there is a fence if you see what I mean.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,108 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Softstuff wrote: »
    I suspect they might have been in Victoria and up earlier than us Queenslanders. Strange having timezones in a single country.

nope, they get up early if they want to talk to me :D

Some of them are not that far from you at all!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 June 2016 at 2:34AM
    Softstuff wrote: »

Mila, how long is the fence? That seems extortionate. I'd be inclined to remove the cinder blocks before it collapsed and worry about the replacement after. Tell your neighbor you haven't got the money to replace right now. Then if she wants a dog fence, she can get one. You're obliged to make sure that the fence is safe, but I don't think you're obliged to make sure there is a fence if you see what I mean.

The fence is maybe abt 50 ft long and the estimate is ridiculous! I think you have a good solution. I'll discuss it with my husband.

Edited: I did talk to OH and we have decided to take down the fence and remove the roots that are desturbing the fence foundation. We will tell our neighbor this and if she wants to put up a dog fence, she can. We are going to get an estimate for the root removal. That's a good first step. Thanks!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Softstuff
    greenbee wrote: »
    nope, they get up early if they want to talk to me :D

Some of them are not that far from you at all!

Queenslanders can be an oddbunch that way, some get up at 4.30 am just for fun, a walk or something :eek: I didn't realise there were 2 4.30s in a day... :o
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    Bum - keep losing posts. Ivyleaf (Ad other ladies with a similar problem) I've found the Argan Oil (Aldi?) is really good for dry hair. It smells lovely and doesn't make your hair greasy. It really tames dry locks & I wouldn't be without it now.
    Hester - I'm imagining you as one of the Beryl Cook ladies :rotfl:

Thanks silvasava - I might try that, though I have to be careful as most things upset my scalp. I could put it on the ends though :)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ivyleaf - you just put a drop or two in your palms, rub them together and smooth over your hair concentrating on the dryest ends . It doesn't touch the scalp at all so shouldn't irritate.
    DH & I just voted - seems to be a much bigger turnout than for local and general elections so hoping for a really good cross representation that reflects the feelings of the country - we shall see!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2016 at 2:12PM
    Yep...I think its going to be a big turnout across the country if my quiet little polling station is anything to go by.

Steady stream of people going in or out early this morning.

If we're out - then I head for some heavy-duty exercise - as excuse to "punch the air" in celebration to let out the adrenaline. If we're still in - then long walk in countryside to try and calm down and review if I need to do any "tweaking" to getting myself as sorted out as possible.

I'm a bit concerned that it tends to be seen as the "fashionable/liberal/etc/etc" option to vote to Stay In (ie that means most of "my" group of people then). Personally - I think I will restrict being fashionable/liberal/etc to being well up on the latest food fashions (and asking for the ingredients I need for them in the shops or growing it in my garden). But it doesnt "matter" in the grand scheme of things how fashionable one is or isnt basically as regards food (as that's a pretty insignificant issue). As regards something like this - I am not going to "follow fashion" on this one ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure