Help with owed holidays please!

Hi everyone, i was wondering if someone could help me with a few facts before I approach my employer.
I work as an electrician and started my job on the 27th may 2019, I've handed my notice in and agreed to work 4 weeks notice leaving on the 13th Sep 2019.
My employer I believe said I'd be getting 4 days which as I've heard my work mates speak of 2. Something days a month, sounds a little low.
I did ring acas who said using 28 days minimum entitlement divided by 52 x 16 (weeks worked) equals
8.7 days holiday
I've never seen nor signed a contract, my boss did say he wouldn't diddle me which automatically made me suspicious!
Would be great if someone could confirm things for me, a friend just told me she thought it was 1.5 days a month you earn in the UK but Google says 2.33 standard by law ?!

Any help gratefully received

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• Well you need to find out if they use the 28 day entitlement, & does that include bank holidays.

Assuming that it does you will have used 2 bh days before you leave (whitsun & August bh).

Also do you have to complete full months to earn that month's entitlement?

So assuming that bh are included you have 20 days or 1.5 ish for each completed month to take whenever you want. Using this method I make it 4.5
  • 2.33 refers to the 28 days minimum but includes bh.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    BH don't get separated when using statutory minimum pro rata.

You just take off any you get paid for.
  • I worked the 27th which I believe was a bank holiday and will likely work the August one, I struggle understanding the 4.5 days or is that subtracting 2 bh's?
    I thought the law was 2.33 days a month, which by the time I've left I'll of worked 3 full months so expecting more than 4 days, or as acas said 28 /52 x 16 is what I'm owed which is the same on the gov website
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Sparkyork wrote: »
    I worked the 27th which I believe was a bank holiday and will likely work the August one, I struggle understanding the 4.5 days or is that subtracting 2 bh's?
    I thought the law was 2.33 days a month, which by the time I've left I'll of worked 3 full months so expecting more than 4 days, or as acas said 28 /52 x 16 is what I'm owed which is the same on the gov website

2.33 days is a rough estimate due to uneven amount of days in a month.
    Simplest way to calculate is to multiply your amount of days worked by 12.07%.
    You will have worked 16 weeks at 5 days so total 80 days
    80 x 12.07%= 9.656 days accrued, less any days already taken including any bank hols you may have taken.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Thanks everyone so basically if he tries telling me its 4 days im owed his trying to rip me off, I know 4 doesn't sound right, only worry is if he thinks I've got to work full months at 2.33, but even that is more than 4! I'll approach him this afternoon !
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Sparkyork wrote: »
    Thanks everyone so basically if he tries telling me its 4 days im owed his trying to rip me off, I know 4 doesn't sound right, only worry is if he thinks I've got to work full months at 2.33, but even that is more than 4! I'll approach him this afternoon !
    You accrue holiday for every hour/day/week you work not for each full month, see me earlier post for exact breakdown.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Have you taken any holidays since starting employment with him?

Have you worked any bank holidays?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport