Smoking in the kitchen

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP hasn’t been back since the first post, so definitely a troll.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Are you adult family members paying to stay with you?
    By your tone I'm led to assume tht they are getting a pretty good deal by living with you (reduced costs etc.). I agree with some of the posters here, your house your rules, however I would say if you are charging people to live with you then a degree of compromise would be useful.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 July 2019 at 3:45PM
    I don't know who your other family members are - perhps you would tell us, and yes, if its your house and you pay all the bills I suppose you are within your legal rights to assert your right to do this.

but do you feel you have the moral right to inflict such an unhygenic habit on your other family members and risk exposing them to cancer? That's what you have to ask yourself.

No use crying at their bedside as they die of cancer if theres a possibility you may have contributed to it.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Are you right? Maybe. It's your house, you pay for it, you can do as you please.

However, asserting your "right" when you share the house with others is beyond common manners and decency. Of course you shouldn't
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    Are you right? Maybe. It's your house, you pay for it, you can do as you please.

However, asserting your "right" when you share the house with others is beyond common manners and decency. Of course you shouldn't
    You'd only be right if they contributed, it appears they dont, so they have zero right to ask anything of her/him in their own home.
    They are lucky they have a roof over there freeloading heads.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    You'd only be right if they contributed, it appears they dont, so they have zero right to ask anything of her/him in their own home.
    They are lucky they have a roof over there freeloading heads.

What if it’s their minor child?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Op not resurfaced, probably one of those trolls who posts something to cause controversy, then takes a look and a sly laugh at all the comments.

I smoked years ago, well before the first warnings were ever issued. I gave up after I coughed myself into vomiting and I did it "cold turkey". No patches or chews then. Best thing I ever did after meeting my missus, but I won't criticise your choice to smoke: it's your life and your health.

Several things I remember: a woman telling me that she could not snog anyone who tasted like an old ashtray, then my brother, dad, nephew, Fil all dying of lung cancer, all smokers.

Your house, your rules, your life.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Whats a minor child?

A child who has not reached the age of majority. 18 in the UK.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Takmon wrote: »
    Smoking inside a house is disgusting because it makes everything smell and go off colour. I don't think you should ever smoke in a house and should always smoke outside.

I don't think it matters if it's your house or not it's about being considerate to the people you live with. If you don't care about how your family members feel by your actions then that says a lot about the type of person you are.

Yes as opposed to the family members who don't contribute to the bills in the OP's house :T
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stripeyfox wrote: »

Yes very common manners and decency in helping pay the household bills for a house they do not own :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure