WHY Cannot get a loan/credit card

Options
Hi People,

I have had an issue for the last 2 years or so, where when I search for new Balance transfers or loans, the results I see in the eligibility results seem not great at all. Not only that but on the occasions that I have applied, I have either received a much reduced term form the initially advertised or, more recently, was refused once I actually applied. That was when proceeding with pretty much the only one that indicated a 90% chance of being successful. My Equifax score is 421/700 and TradesUnion score is 610/710. I am using just over 50% of my credit availability, and under the list of items for 'Things to improve' it says nothing. Below is list of the 'Things I'm doing well'**. The one blemish I do have is an arranged payment with Nationwide which lasted 10 months 3 years ago to bring down my overdraft (due to lack of activity on the account) with monthly payments. There are no late payments showing anywhere in my history.

I have investigated this with all usual channels such as Equifax, Experian and in short, they offer no help.

No idea what to do, and it is having a serious impact on me/my family. Where can I go? Who can I speak to?

Any help appreciated so much
TIA Dave

**Things you're doing well**
You don't have any court judgements, bankruptcies or Individual Voluntary Arrangements
You have no accounts in default or repossession
You've been on the electoral roll at your current address for a long time
You've made very few applications for credit in the past year
You have held at least one of your accounts for several years
Very few/none of your accounts have overdue payments
Your largest credit card limit is relatively high
You have stayed within your credit card limit in the past year
Very few/none of your secured loans or mortgages have overdue payments
Your current Telecoms balance is relatively low

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The AP marker is what's doing it.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ignore all that 'things you are doing well' nonsence and defo ignore the scores.

As above, an arrangement to pay marker is not good. Also utilising over 50% of available credit can be seen as a negative.

You do not say what your income is and your actual level of debt is. Keep paying your existing debts down (more than the minimum payments on any cards) and give it 6 months.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    What do you mean when you say it is having an impact on your family? This suggests that you need to borrow for normal living expenses, which suggests lenders may fear that you are on the edge of disaster and they won’t get their money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure